DISCRIMINATION??? BECAUSE OF OUR AGE?

Ok ladies, . My fnce and I found a small comfy mobile home to rent. I filled the paper work out and faxed it to the management. I get a call asked these question about my job history and for some reason I knew she would not believe me on my answers(its all true) (*we have a big age gap of 15 yrs) he moved down from WA and he just recently got a job here in Houston we have been together for about a yr. ) Then I call my fnce and told him that he needs to talk to the mngr. He calls back saying that she had the nerve to ask "HOW LONG HAVE YOU TWO BEEN ENGAGED?" She wanted to know about our personal relationship. I felt very uncomfortable when he told me. I was furious as he told me more. He told her that it is non of her concern about his personal life and she should only focus on questions asked on the rental application. I know it seems weird that he moved down to Tx just about a yr & bottom line....that was not an apprt questn.

dha8718

Asked by dha8718 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• She wanted to know about our relationship because it said on his paper work that he still was working for a co in washington and my guess to her it seemed wierd that we are moving in and we are eng. , our age diff and I believe that she might think this is a fraud or something when it really is not. He told her that those questions are very unappropriate and unprofessional of her to ask. He ended shutting her up. He was mad too. We really want this place and im afraid just because he is older and just recently came down from washington that we might not get this place. I told him that if we dont get it, that I would slam that mobile home park all over the news and the knock on every door and ask them if they had ever been asked personal questions about their relationship and personal life and make it even harder on them to rent anything off their property. I was pretty mad and still am.
    dha8718

Comment by dha8718 (original poster) at 8:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't find that to be discrimination. You weren't denied any services, you were simply questioned as to the nature of your relationship. They have a desire to rent to stable people and what they saw on the applications tossed up a red flag that said "this might not be a good risk, check it out". So they checked it out.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Second justnancyb. They have the right to ask you any question they want and can say "yay" or "nay" over just about anything. You might scream AGE DISCRIMINATION and even if that is the case, which I'm not thinking, they can so easily say that they found someone who was a better fit...period. And then they are done and you are stuck with legal fees because you're sued due to deformation of character (or whatever that's called). Just let it go and move on to find another place that you like just as well. More than likely just by him getting mad at her, you won't get it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I just have never been asked that kind of question before and it threw me off. I would think all they should be concerned about is us having jobs and to see if we meet thier requirements that they ask for which is money. We meet all of their qualifications on this rental agreement. I didnt see why that had to be asked.
    dha8718

Comment by dha8718 (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think at best it's a gray area. It's none of their business how long you have known each other, been engaged, whatever. I have never been asked that question. Every time we've rented a house and even bought this one we're in now, the main concern was if we could afford the house. If that woman was worried about him being from another place or not having been in town for long, etc., she needed to be a professional and ask that question, not inquire about a personal relationship status. But I will say that with everything I've seen, people who run mobile home parks are about the nosiest landlords in the world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thank you anonymous!!!!
    dha8718

Comment by dha8718 (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• In Texas, a landlord can refuse to rent to a couple if they are not married. Maybe she is trying to figure out when you plan to get married.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• No because if she wanted to know that she would have asked immidelty She sounded nosey with her questions from what my fiancee told me.
    dha8718

Comment by dha8718 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Not discrimination. But I'm sure the fact that you and your fiancee both became "furious" and "mad" told them all they needed to know.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• As justnancyb stated.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 6:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010