How do I get a child to go to school when she fights me every morning about getting up?

skaufman3106

Asked by skaufman3106 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• go to bed early until she can learn to get up for school..no phone, no tv, ...homework, dinner, chores, shower, bed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would let her face the consequences of not getting up (i.e. being late for school which leads to missing classes which leads to failing grades which leads to repeating the same grade and no issuance of a TEA form for a driver's license and/or permit). I would also ground her from the phone, tv, going out, etc. And double up on her chores.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My mom actually would get me up at least an hour before I had to get ready for school, she would just lead me to the couch, turn on cartoons, and pass me a mt.dew. (I think if there would have been any sodas with more cafine she would have given them to me instead) Consequences for not getting up and getting going never worked for me. I just didn't care.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 8:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Stop fighting. It is what it is. No need to engage in an argument. You're the adult in charge, you simply tell her how it is and that's that. Don't get into an argument/debate/negotiation.
    Let her suffer the consequences of not being at school on time. Allow her to serve after school detentions and suffer lowered grades for lack of performance.
    And then impose your own consequences as well. No TV, no phone, no computer, no extracurricular activities, and an earlier bedtime. All until she can learn to get up for school with no problems.

justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't have this problem but I knew someone who had a 15 yr old dd that wouldn't get up and go to school. Her mom ended up in truancy court with her dd and was told by the judge to call the police and have them come get her up and going to school or she (the dd) took the risk of going to juvy. Believe me, that on top of no phone, internet, being grounded all the time, extra chores, no allowance, no friends, no boyfriend time, etc turned her around pretty quick!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I remember when I was that age I had a friends mom that charged her for everytime they had to be woken up. It was something like everytime the mom went to the room it cost $5 (for her time) and if my friend missed a class she had to pay for that class (my friend went to a private school). It quickly wasn't an issue.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 8:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree with Babylove. "letting her suffer the consequences" is a BAD idea. Momma would most likely 'suffer the consequences'. I am a teacher (home today with sick kids) and if children are consistantly late, we can/do charge the parents. We also call Children and Youth.
    I don't know how old your child is, but my son, who is 11 used to do this to me. I started making him go to his room right after school on the days he pitched a fit in the morning. I also wake him up slowly. I go in his room, turn the light on and say, you have 10 minutes. I then set a timer. When the timer goes off, he must get out of bed. He then goes to the living room and sits on the couch. I set a timer for 5 minutes. When the timer goes off, he must go eat breakfast. When he is done, he goes back to the couch. I set a timer. He has 5 minutes. When the timer goes off he must go brush his teeth. "cont"
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I continue this untiil he is ready for school. If at any point he fights it, he knows he will spend a good chunk of his time after school in his room. He has gotten used to his routine and very rarely fights going to school anymore.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• layh, I do not know how you have time for anything else. Bless you and all caring, giving mothers. I voted up both segments you deserve all the points you can get.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This is how my mom got me out of bed on those nasty days of my older years. She's call me from her workplace and I'd have to answer the phone, she's been letting it ring as long as it took me to get up, sometimes 15 rings. I'd have to get up to stop the phone from ringing off the hook, ....it was LOOOUUD ! So I'd get up and stay awake.....worked really really nicely.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010