How can I stop my son from play fighting at school?

He loves super heroes and playing rough at home with my husband, and we have explained to him over and over that it is not appropriate for school. He has actually done much better this year in first grade than he did in Kindergarden, but it is still somewhat of an issue.

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 8:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with PP. Also, make sure his teacher is in on the situation and that she knows how you are earnestly trying to teach him to stop at school. Otherwise, she's just going to be irritated at the ongoing problem. She will likely be more patient if you work with her on this. GL.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well if you've explained it over and over and it's still an issue, he's not catching on. Either he doesn't understand or he's choosing it because it's what he wants to do. I would disallow that kind of play entirely - at home and at school.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• While children are perfectly capable of catching on to many things, including different rules in different settings, this child isn't bothering to learn the lesson. And since he's not bothering to learn the lesson? No rough play. At all.
    lovesergei

Answer by lovesergei at 6:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would stop the rough play at home until he is able to understand that he can not do it at school.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• not sure if this helps but with our new puppy and my kids we told them no rough housing at all or the puppy will be aggressive with others. i think the same thing applies to kids. you need to really step back and try to find better ways to get out energy than that kind of play...race dad or frisbee with mom or maybe even a messy craft . i know boys need to use the energy but i have found with mine we try to use that energy elsewhere...maybe a sport
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Stop the rough play at home until he learns to stop play fighting at school. Also, does he like school? If so, tell him that ANY kind of figthing is against school rules and if he doesn't stop they won't let him at school for breaking the rules.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I guess he's not catching on because he's a child! He does it with Dad why not with his friends? If it stops at home, he'll eventually stop...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i agree stop it @ hm
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010