Planting tulip bulbs!!!

How deep should I plant them?? and do lots of tulips come out of one bulb or is it justl like on per bulb.... Not much of a gardner sorry lol....THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE ON PLANTING THEM!! Also are there any other flowers that need to be planted in the fall that i could get???

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Home & Garden

• You get one flower per bulb, I usually just dig a hole twice as deep as the bulb is tall, make sure to get the soil around it loose when planting it so the roots can grow easily. There's all kinds of bubls you can plant in the fall, just go to your local gardening store or even walmart and see what's available in your area...all the bulb packages have directions on the packages, just follow those for all the different kinds of bulbs. Just remember if you are planting iris' that you need to leave the bulbs (rhizomes) sticking out of the ground on the top, they need sun to bloom, but if you are worried about the cold this first winter, just cover them with leaves and they should be fine.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 8:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There are TONS of bulbs you can plant in the fall, most of them prefer it in fact. One tulip per bulb and I do about the same as the above person mentioned, about twice the height of the bulb, 3 inches deep or so for tulips is about it I guess.

I like a natural look so I kind of toss them to the ground (aiming for the flower bed from not too high up) and plant them where they land but you can also do rows a few inches apart for a more uniform or planned appearance.

Another fun option is to use a large planting pot and layer bulbs, start with soil, then a layer of bulbs (roots down), then soil, then bulbs and so on til the pot is full and the top layer is soil. You will have a blooming pot of flowers for much longer as the deeper ones will take longer to get to the surface and bloom.
    MRiverson

Answer by MRiverson at 8:35 PM on Oct. 28, 2008