How much of your income, are you willing to use for food? How much is too much?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20101013/us_time/08599202385700
http://www.ers.usda.gov/AmberWaves/September08/Findings/PercentOfIncome.htm
http://www.visualeconomics.com/how-the-average-us-consumer-spends-their-paycheck/

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oops..forgot the other question! IMO it is hard to put a finger on how much is too much. You have to take income and eating/cooking habits into consideration. It is also my opinion that you can eat pretty well for pretty cheap, you just have to make healthy choices and cook from scratch.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well, it's the one thing we REALLY need to spend money on. It's a necessity. People will always buy food regardless of price increase. I spend a lot on groceries. Not sure of the actual percentage, I'm not about to do the math right now but at LEAST $200 a week (usually more), which is much more than i spent 5 years ago. It was about 1/2 that. I remember when i thought $100 a week was a lot to spend on food.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• When I dont take the extra time to do my coupons I spend about $80 a week for a family of 5. When I DO I can spend less then $50 and get 3 times MORE. Iheartpublix is GREAT. So is Southernsavers.com, couponingtodisney.com, and frugalgirls.com. All offer FANTASTIC tips and links to great coupons and freebies!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm running anywhere between $400-$500 a month--but I only have three people to feed.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 8:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure what area of the states you live in, but if you have a Publix in your area there is a wonderful website called www.iheartpublix.com that offers weekly ad's in advance along w/coupon for each item on sale or bogo. It's helped us tremendously! I've been couponing per the site's help for just about a year and we spend roughly $35-$50 per week on a family of 3. No joke! There's usually 1 week a month where we spend a bit more for the meat, etc.
    JenPrincess88

Answer by JenPrincess88 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Walmart's difficulties are not simply a matter of price. I, for one, don't shop there unless the world is ending. The few bargains they have are off set by much higher prices elsewhere, the staff is rude and unfriendly, and it's dirty. Their business practices are ethically challenged, and there are tons of derogatory sites devoted to the downfall of Walmart.

Now, I spend 120 one trip a month, maybe two, and the rest are 60 trips. I cook EVERYTHING, so I go through lots of expensive spices. On the big trip, I allow one box of favorite crackers (olive oil and cracked pepper triscuits) and they get one bag of chips per week. I'm feeding five people, one in diapers, and one gigantic beast dog.

Most of my cleaners are homemade, so coupons don't really work for me, because we buy whole foods (fruits veggies meats, plain rice, no mixes, flours) Store brand diapers, etc.

I do use coupons on pup food, dish detergent, makeup,etc.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• So we spend.. as a percentage, ten percent of our income on food, the average percent up to twelve if you include eating out, which we really don't do anymore at all. Not to shabby.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We've been around $250 average a month for a family of 4 adults, 1 teen boy, and 2 tweens and that's right around the 12% mark for our net income. I'll be shopping this Saturday for the next month and it should be around $200. I use very few coupons if any; none of our stores regularly double coupons or add store coupons. We eat well, no junk foods besides hot dogs a couple of times a month or a bag of chips once a month, no sodas, plenty of good food made from scratch.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We spend about $260-$280 max. at the grocery store per month for a fam. of 3 (2 adults & 1 toddler). That includes all toiletries, cleaning supplies, snacks, all food, night time diapers, dog food, and all misc. DH HATES going to the grocery with me b/c I have to analyze every product along with the price in order to get the best deal  :-)   I rarely use coupons, but I always use my rewards cards. 

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We spend 3% of our income on food.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010