Is a landlord aloowed to just go in your apartment anytime?Also tell you you cant keep a tool box in your bedroom?I know its stupid but my brothers landlord did this on his 2nd day in the apartment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• no....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think it depends on the state. My dad is a landlord and he has gone into his rental units but only with good reason. He went into one when one of the renters was not answering the door but his car was outside and they were suppose to meet at that time. My dad went inside and found the guy dead! I am sure this is an exception but I do know there have been other times too. Check with your state's laws.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes they are allowed to come into the appartment unless its stated in the lease. the toolbox thing probably not but i know in my old apartment they didn't want me to change anything in the apartment. stupid rules like hang pictures. i did anyway. i would ask your brother to look over the lease to see maybe that is what the landlord was referring. remember its a rental so that landlord owns the apartment. it sucks but that is the way it is.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• He should look over the lease he signed & see what all is in there. If it says it's allowed, then it is because your brother signed it. The tool bag thing....the landlors is just being anal. He is probably worried about his floor or carpet as some tools can be very dirty.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thankyou.Thats what i told him.Yesterday was only his 2nd day in there.While he was moving things in he left for another load of furniture.When he came back there was a note in a envelope on the door saying you are not allowed to keep a tool box in your bedroom.That means he went in the apartment while my brother was gone and looked thru the apartment.That is crazy and to tell him he cant keep a tool box in the bedroom.My brother was using the tools to put his furntiure together but thats besides the point.
    lynn6365

Answer by lynn6365 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• There is no lease.
    lynn6365

Answer by lynn6365 at 8:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• there's no lease? how can that be? is it a month to month?
    there must be some kind of written agreement. If not, I urge your brother to get one or find another place.
    My guess is the landlord needs your brother more than the other way around.
    if there is no lease, I would personally find a new place. Sounds like this landlord is going to be a pain in the 'you know what'

why would he tell him you can't keep a toolbox in the bedroom?
    your brother may be the renter, but he has rights.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• He might tell you that you cannot keep a toolbox in the bedroom because of damage to the landlords property. We have a number of rental properties. We have had tenants completely taking apart a motorcycle in the living room. Destroyed the carpet.
    My one sons toolbox is cleaner than most kitchen utensils. My husbands toolbox is a greasy mess. We do not know what condition the toolbox was in, so maybe he was taking precautions. I know when someone first moves in, we make it a point to be around to take care of any problems that need correcting. We do not just go into the property. Actually I have had properties that I did not go into for three years. We rent some of our properties to NATO and the Coast Guard. They renew every three years and that is when we have to go back.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thankyou.I know i told him.Its just really fishy.I guess its a month to month.He never signed anything.I told him i would not stay there.
    lynn6365

Answer by lynn6365 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• wow- that's insane, I mean he hasn't even finished moving in yet! It sounds like this guy is going to be a giant pain in the arse
    and what's up with no paperwork?!?!!
    I would say he should try to find another place...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010