If your DH joined the military out of economic fear, how much time did he spend researching his field for job prospects when the enlistment is up?

What do you suspect his prospects will be when he gets out, if the economy doesn't change or becomes worse?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They could be more selective on who they allow as new enlistments. When my husband was first in the army and the economy was good, the military pretty much had to pay big enlistments for people to join. "Some" of these people probably should not have been in the military (and some were kicked out). Just like any employer, during a recession, the military can be more picker about who they choose. The military is not there for people to join when they can't find a job.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think this would greatly depend on the individual and his situation. Such as what his MOS was, his experience, where he wants to move to and the economy in that town, his accomplishments in the military, etc. My husband got out of active duty in 2005. He had no job lined up other than working with his uncle until he could find something. It took him exactly 2 weeks to start a job. Of course this was when the economy was still good. My friend's husband got out last August and does not have a job. The main reason he doesn't have a job though is because he is going to school using his GI Bill and he has not seriously looked for a job. Another friend's husband was prior service and was laid off from his job in May and found another job within two weeks. So, again, this will greatly depend on the individual. There are programs in the military that help with transition back to civilian life and help finding a job. Cont.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm asking because there are articles out today talking about the recovery looking pretty bad and many military personnel due to get out over the next 18 months.

My guess is that about 60% will re-enlist for at least 2 years or some may try to find a full time reserve position.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• The military paid for my husbands collage, we are very lucky they did that. We had a great life in the military the most important we have a lot of family time. In his field he would of gotten paid around the same. The military offered a lot more then the outside world.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• and would you say that unemployment may go up as these enlistments are up? and others refused? Again, this will be determined on a lot of things such as their MOS, and if they choose to relocate to find a job. As far as unemployment goes, from what I have noticed in my area the unemployment is high not because there are not any jobs but because people make the same or more on unemployment so they stay until it is about to run out. I know several small business owners and there main complaint is that can't find good help. I am not saying this about all people who are on unemployment but this is just my observations from my area.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Will the military has a large working force and there is not a thing wrong to join because you can not find a job. You are doing what you need to do.

If the military stops some re-enlistments or people do not want to re-enlist there will be a lot of unemployment. With the jobs going overseas yes there will be a lot of people hurting.
    That is why we need to vote for someone who is business friendly.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• what dose he do in the military and he should start trying to find a job and have one lined up 6 months befor getting out i know you get alittle time after you get out but its always good to have a job and know where you are going to live and how much your going to have to pay for ins and what not and if he is not ready i would just stay in and save up
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Cont.. I have known some soldiers who have put in the application about 6 months before getting out. A few even used some of their leave time to fly home and have some interviews. However, I have only personally known one person who had a job lined up before getting out. Many employers fear that the military person may change their mind and stay in or that they will have to work around their reserve schedule (if they choose to do reserves once they get out) or that they will be called back into the military once they get out (which happened to my husband). This leaves the employer having to hold a job for someone and hire someone else to do his job until he gets back. So some employers prefer not to deal with the military at all while some employers love hiring military.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Ummmm...Devin, My ol man got out in 1987. I'm not asking this question for me.
    I'm asking because there are articles out today talking about the recovery looking pretty bad and many military personnel due to get out over the next 18 months.
    jewjewbee

Comment by jewjewbee (original poster) at 9:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• oh ok sorry was just saying what i thought
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 9:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010