Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need job advice, no clue what I am qualified for!

My husband has abandoned us. This is hard to come to terms with, but I have no time to, I need to get a job and support us! He went out of state, he was supposed to get a job there and send for us but he told me 2 days ago to stop calling him because I stress him out and his phone has been off since!
I have no high school diploma, no car, I am homeless, I have a week to be out of my dads house. No other family to help me. No one to watch my 3 year old.
I need a car, house, daycare and I have only $40!
I need a job that fits daycare hours, but will provide enough for us to live on once I get the car situation figured out.
What shold I look for? What kind of job can I find? I am so lost!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • i think you should go to a womens shelter. i know it sounds bad but they will help you find everything you need. you could wait tables..they ask if you have high school diploma or GED but most places don't look into that so just say you got your GED

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • in the meantime you should really work on getting a real GED

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • This is why I stress how important education is....I stress that here at CM and I used to when my kids were in high school. Fortunately,my kids listened to DH and I and all of them have college degrees.
    I mention education here and get some nasty defensive replies and I am told education is overrated. See...when you have to take care of yourself and don't have anyone to live off of, you are at a loss. WOMEN, get your degree and have skills BEFORE you get married. ANd use BirthControl.
    YES, get that GED and learn some skills. But entry level jobs will teach you skills also,if you are lucky. GOOD LUCK!

    Answer by gertie41 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Waitress...It is good money and the hours aren't long!

    Answer by mommy2karsyn at 9:35 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Way to judge gertie! It must be nice living in a world where you have the opportunity handed to you! Not being told at 16 by the family member who is already getting paid to support you that you have to quit school and work full time to pay the bills or live on the streets!

    Answer by MIA0223 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • I have to agree go to a womens shelter. They are there to help in times of need like this. Also there they have connections to help you get a job and will help you arrange everything to get on your feet and live the life you deserve.

    Remember God only gives you what you can handle. If he brings you to it he WIILL bring you through it. I wish you the best.

    Answer by mommy2each at 9:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Gertie41...What a load of CRAP...I have a BA from a great accredited school and so does DH and I am a SAHM by choice and a WAHM by necessity....
    Get a grip, the fact is is you listen to the new, watch reports or anything ... it doesn't matter anymore..You need a Masters or PhD anymore now a days. THere are 1,000 applicants to every 1 GOOD PAYING job, fortune 500 companies are folding all around us.

    The US Chamber of Commerce President, Tom Donahue, had DECLARED that the only people that are safe and will be wealthy within the next 10 years are those that are INDEPENDENTLY EMPLOYED..what does that mean, any degree isn't going to be worth the paper its written on in 10-15 years....after you spend 200K to get the 4 yr degree, then more for masters etc.

    There will be no more Working middle class in 10 years- that is a fact.

    Sorry for the Segway, Anony If you want help I will see what I can do PM me

    Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • i made the second comment..idk why it showed as anon

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Definitely work on getting your GED. In the meantime, you should check out women's shelters and public assistance. YOU are the kind of person that needs and deserves the help. There are also programs that can help you get your GED for free, and help with job placement - or, for that matter, higher education.

    You can do this. It will be hard and it will be scary, but you will be so proud of yourself when you make it through - and your kids will be proud of you too!

    Answer by WomanWitty at 11:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Unfortunately, not having graduated you're very limited. You should seek government assistance, get your GED and then look for a job.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Eligibility worker

Next question overall
wyr tennis or golf