Does anyone suffer from severe migraines? I have gotten migraines since I was 6 years old an have tried everything.

Currently, I am taking 200mg/day of Topomax and I also take an antidepressant called Imiprimine that is indicated for migraines. I cannot remember the dosage. I am allergice to triptan meds such as Imitrex, so I have been stuck trying all kinds of other abortive medications as treatments, but nothing has really helped. What seems to work for you????

Thanks!

Patesmom

Asked by Patesmom at 9:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Health

• no i dont but my sister does and shes used everything and nothing seems to help , one doc even recommended coffee he said the caffeine would help with migraines
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Drinking Yerba mate' once or twice a day. You can buy it at health food stores. Eating an apple or two during the day can reduce frequency. Have you tried honey?? Eat a tablepoon when you feel it coming on and if it's not gone eat another tablespoon 30 minutes later with three glasses of water. Of course if you're diabetic or allergic then you don't want to use honey. Your best bet is to eat healthy limit or avoid caffeine (Yerba Mate has caffeine in it though less than coffee or tea), and get plenty of sleep.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:51 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have had migraines all my life.

A few months ago they escilated into this condition called Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome...its like migraines of the stomach with crazy horrible vomiting. I was in and out of the hospital for months, lost a ton of weight...it was bad.

My doctor put me on an anti-depessant called Tofranil and I haven't had a problem since.

I know a lot of people who have CVS are prescribed Iimprimine, maybe the Tofranil will be better for you.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Frova 2.5 mg tablets. Very expensive, you only get 4 tabs for 107.59 but they work.
    Susan397

Answer by Susan397 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm on Relpax and it works for me. However, I have to take 20mg doses instead of the 40mg that is normal.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have severe migraines with daily headaches. My migraines are on the left side on my head, the daily headaches are on the right. Right now I'm on day 51 of a severe headache, and I've gotten 1 migraine this month.   I'm only on 75 MG of Topamax but that's because I have liver problems so I can't take too much of it and I take Relpax for the onset.  Thank goodness for insurance my Relpax is still $50 for 6 pills.

Have you tried Acupuncture? I'm going through Acupuncture coupled with the medicine. I'm willing to try anything.  My Acupuncturist is also a DOM (doctor of oriential medicine) and prescribed me a Chinese Herb called Pian Tou Tong Wan it translates literally to Migraine Pill.  You take 8 pills, twice a day, and it's herbal so it doesn't have a lot of side affects.

mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 10:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I've also had a couple of friends tell me Chiropractic adjustments help with their migraines. It didn't help with mine, but if you haven't tried it I would give it a shot.

The next step for me is to up my does of Topamax and try Botox injections in my head. Yep I'm that desperate for relief. My doctor said it's still an experimental treatment for migraines but I cannot stand to be in pain every day any longer, somethings gotta give or I'm going to voluntarily decapitate myself.
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 10:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had them for years and years :'( They ONLY stopped when I found out I was dairy intolerant and quit dairy 100%. The withdrawal headaches and shakes and sickness almost floored me but by the end of 3 weeks back in September 2006 I have been migraine free! Take a closer look at dairy intolerance is my urgent advice. Thinking of you x
    PinkLentil

Answer by PinkLentil at 10:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, Relpax is a triptan medication, so I cannot take that. Some of the popular triptans are Imitrax, Zomig, Amerge, Axert, Frova, Maxalt, etc.). When I get migraines, I vomit uncontrollably for hours on end, which is absolutely horrible, but I've always been that way. I do have terrible food allergies. When I was tested for food allergies, I was allergic to every food except for tomatoes. Nice, huh? Luckily they are the king that just really mess up my stomach, not the kind that make my airway swell shut. I think migraine triggers are a joke because they are pretty much everything, such as lack of sleep, too much sleep, too much caffeine, hunger, and so on, and so on, and so on... It's crazy! Lack of sleep is common for me considering that I have a 3 year old and a 9 month old! =)
    Patesmom

Comment by Patesmom (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Oh yeah, I've also tried going to the chiropractor, massage therapists, and getting acupuncture numerous times without relief. I feel like a guinea pig since I've been on so many different meds for so many years. It's very frustrating. I've also had sinus surgery since I have chronic sinusitis. I have started taking some new allergy medicine that has helped my environmental allergies tremendously!!!!!
    Patesmom

Comment by Patesmom (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010