How do I explain that my husband is gone for a year?

This is his 4th Iraq deployment, but the kids were too young to really understand before. Now, my daughter asks everyday if Daddy is home yet. My heart is breaking....HELP

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 9:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my husband was deployed, I explained to our then 2 1/2 year old that daddy had an important job to do and that he needed to stay there for awhile until his job was done. We then made a paper chain and took one chain off each day. Luckily, I had to actually take about 10 chains off because he came home 10 days earlier than expected. You can also get them a daddy doll to help comfort them. My son took his everywhere that way daddy can still be in all the pictures that he would have been (birthday parties, vacation, etc.) Also, get them involved in sending care packages. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Aw your poor baby. I would say first "Daddy loves you SOOOOOO much and he missed you everday. He is away because he has a big job to do because he wants to help us and other families." You could do a craft together that includes a picture of him and she couldkiss him everynight. :) HTH.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 9:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• How? You just tell them. My DH was in the Air Force ...career officer....he was away twice for a year and often for weeks at a time and I just told them. They knew they had me and I made the time as normal as possible. It isn't easy but it is not THATbad. Kids are very adaptable if you allow them to be.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm sorry, I've never had this happen to me, I feel for you!
    I thought the troops were leaving Iraq- guess I don't keep up well.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• webcam, is an essential, a daddy doll, and constant communication!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Find some books at the library. Ask the librarian for some help. If they don't go then to your local book store for some of these books. When you have a positive attitude your children will bleed off from that.  Stay strong for them. GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2010