• In the Spotlight:

will this hurt her?

We have gotten open enrollment approval from a middle school that our daughter will be attending next year. This will be her 1st year in middle school. We are wondering if it would be to her betterment to down-play this since she has the rest of the school year in her 4th grade current school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't get it. Is it a special school? Will any of her friends be there? What? Does she WANT to go to that school?

Need more info before I can say what to do on such a matter. :)
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 10:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Need more info to help you.
    cloverlady2008

Answer by cloverlady2008 at 6:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• The school (middle school is only 4 miles away vs. 14 miles in existing school.  She wants to play sports, etc. and driving 28 miles a day would be pretty far (timewise and moneywise).  No, it will not be a school where her friends are.  She is in multi age and right now there are only 4 girls in her 4th grad class and she isn't friends with anyone.  Her 1 friend is in middle school that is why she doesn't want to go.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• No. It is perfectly normal for a child to feel a little out of place when getting into middle school. I would just have a talk with her about your experiences in middle school and help her to understand the differences. Communication is the way to go here. That way, there are no surprises. If you communicate with her and always be honest, she will value your opinion and be more likely to ask for help if she runs into any real problems. Get ready though, middle school years are very difficult. I forewarned my daughter that our relationship would change because she is going to be learning and trying to grow up too fast but also made sure she knew I would always love her no matter what. You should also talk about drugs, etc. and help her to be able to make good decisions for herself.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 11:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008