How much does your 3-4 yr old weigh?

My daughter is 3 1/2 and only weighs 25 pounds. I'm kind of worried, but when she was born the doctor told me she would most likely always be "petite". She was 6 pounds even for the last month and a half of pregnancy, was 6 pounds even when born and is still small today. :( She has gained not even half a pound in six months and barely wears size 3T and the waist is HUGE on her... like by 3+ inches! The length is somewhat okay but still an inch or so too long. But 2T isn't quite right either.... lol, so yeah.... she's tiny.

How much does your 3-4 yr old weigh? Should I be worried? Her pediatrician hasn't said anything... but this is my baby and I worry as a mommy. :( And pediatricians aren't always 100% on the ball when it isn't time for a check up and for them to check growth and such... she is now on the yearly schedule to have well checks... but went into WIC the other day and she isn't growing much at all.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 year olds weigh 26.5 pounds (boy) and 29.5 pounds (girl). My boy is below the 5th percentile for weight (the boys' chart has higher expected weights), and my girl is at about the 40th percentile for weight. They were both under 6 pounds at birth, but they were also about 3 weeks early. Their older sister was right on time and only weighed 6 pounds 2 ounces at birth, and she was smaller as a toddler than the twins are. She was only 23.5 pounds at 3 years, and was up to about 28 pounds at 4 1/2 years of age. She was usually the lightest, though not always shortest, one in her class up through 8th grade. She's in 9th grade now and has just filled out some in the last 6 months.....she's 5'5" and her size zero jeans are just beginning to be too tight. Some kids are just little, and that is fine.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My DD just turned 4 last month and she weighs 40 pounds. She is not even pudgy or anything, either. I think that each child develops at their own rate. Hey, maybe your daughter will be lucky and never have a weight problem and always be slim and trim. As long as she has a good appetite and is getting her nutrients, I wouldn't worry.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 9:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• darn my 22 month old weighs 28lbs and 3ft tall already lol
    alcnic27

Answer by alcnic27 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My son is almost 4 1/2, he is about 43 inches tall, and weighs 38 lbs. He wears 5T clothing, but always needs a belt, even with the adjustable waist band pants.
    00momma00

Answer by 00momma00 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It wouldnt hurt to have a doc take a look at her.

My oldest child was very tiny too...and today at the age of 24 she is just barely 4 ft 11. She has never been sick and eats like a horse! I have another child that picked at his food all his childhood, and is now a 5 ft 8, 200 pound 20 yr old!!

So you never know. The best advice I can give is to have her checked out by a doc and dont worry too much unless the doc says to :)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 9:56 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• sometimes the weight of a child depends to the family gins!find out from your hubby how much he weight when he was your childs age
    and how much did you weigh at that time,because its of no use to keep worying about the child you know is healthy, an dis eating as a child supose to,take it from me my kids when they are small are very big(or you want me to say fat but once they turn 5 it all goes away, don't stress very much as long as you know your child is healthy
    Jacky434

Answer by Jacky434 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My Granddaughter weighs 38 lb and is 3 years 10 months. Her eating has really changed. She was an excellent eater, now she is picky.
    I would not worry. But I would ask the Dr. if he/she does not mention it to you. Always go in there with a list of your questions and concerns. The Drs are on a speed schedule and you need to be prepared to get your questions and concerns addressed. It sounds like she is just small. How about you and your husband are you small people.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• 3.5 yrs 36 inches tall and 40 lbs. she was 7/5 at birth
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Oh and a little bit more insight into her size... at her daycare there are 18 month olds as big or bigger than her. :(

And she DOES eat. She eats seconds at school (of course they give smaller helpings than I do at home... but after a little coaxing she will pay attention - she has attention issues that MAY be ADHD but the doctor wants to give her time to see if she can adjust to school on her own and begin to focus because I'd rather not do medication if we don't have to - and once she pays attention she will finish her plate). She even sometimes eats seconds of some meals at home and eats vegetables and fruits and healthy foods.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• In my family my mom, sister and brother are small... but I have a different dad than my sister and brother and that side is all bigger boned people. Not fat, but thicker. My moms side of the family, she is an oddity and smaller framed than the rest. I am a thicker girl even when at a lesser weight, I am thick boned. Her dad and his entire side of the family is big and thick. So she is the oddity! :)

She stays in the 25th percentile or less (less now for sure) all the time.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010