Should I give in??!!

My 6y/o daughter is very fashion forward ( have no idea where she got it)...anyway. In order to take/pick her up from school...she wants me to get dressed makeup and all! I don't go in my PJ's but sometimes I do wear workout clothes and she has a meltdown. Should I give in and get dressed so I don't embarrass her, or should I stand my ground and wear sweats?? I normally don't give in but this is different!

willkanmom

Asked by willkanmom at 10:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Me personally, wouldn't give in. I always look descent, but by no means am I going to get fixed up to go get my child from school.
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Maybe surprise her one or twice by dressing up but tell her that this is not something that you can do everyday and she needs to understand that.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't - she doesn't have the right to dictate what other members of the household wear, most especially her mother. I don't see how the situation is different - I don't understand that last sentence of your question. She should know where her power ends and what she can rationally expect other people to do for her.

She should also be taught that a "meltdown" is not an acceptable way to express disappointment over a situation. She should be free to be disappointed, but making a scene isn't acceptable (at least in my house). She's trying to manipulate your behavior and it almost looks like you're helping her to do it!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I imagine she has seen other mothers dressed very trendy or fashionably and she admires them. She wants you to be like that.
    It could also be that her friends put down parents that dress down or just do not put an effort into it.
    You need to talk to her and find out what is going on. Are you taking offense. Could it be that she has a legitimate concern. If fashion is important to her why not compromise and try to find a way to come together.
    She cannot dictate, but her feelings are important and legitimate.
    I know that I can put on an outfit and dab some makeup and put a clip in my hair, EARRINGS make a world of difference. This is not a big deal to do for one the most important people in my world.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This gives you the perfect opportunity to talk about different strokes for different folks. Maybe compromise once in awhile but she needs to accept you for you. It will work to her best interests down the road.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thanks ladies for the positive views. She is a good kid, going through alot of change and I honestly think that this may have something to do with feeling out of control. We just recently moved and dad is getting ready to deploy after only being home a little while. I know how important fashion is to her, for 6 she is very aware! I think that I will try to compormise and see how that works for us!
    willkanmom

Comment by willkanmom (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• nobody mentioned this but why is it ok for a 6yo to wear makeup to school every day, i can see like maby one day or when at home playing dress up at home but i cant understand letting a child that young think she needs to wear makeup everyday........ and im young so i remember being a kid and every little girl thinks there mom is the prettyest woman in the world, so she probably just wants to show you off, so i wouldent say go and get dressed up to pick her up but maby just change into jeans and make sure ur hair isint crazy lol, hope this was helpful and not too judgemental
    ArianasMama2007

Answer by ArianasMama2007 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• ok nevermind about the makeup thing i read it wrong sorry ............. oops
    ArianasMama2007

Answer by ArianasMama2007 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think in her eyes fashion shows a sign of success and stability. From the sounds of it she may be a little rocky on other things. So maybe find some fashionable sweats that both of you can be happy over.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• No worries, I would never let her wear makeup in public! They grow up way to fast as it is. i want to keep her little for as long as I can!
    willkanmom

Comment by willkanmom (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2010