i really need some help w/ consequences for my strong willed almost 7 yr old dd. Besides spanking and time outs..suggestions?

camicourt

Asked by camicourt at 10:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take away the things that she enjoys and then tell her she can get them back one at a time with good behavior.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Start taking privileges away or her things away. Do it until she either acts right or only has 3 hots and a cot and 5 pairs of clothes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I started chores with my 11 yr SS. He HATES washing windows so when he does something that he shouldn't or doesn't listen to a warning, that is his punishment. After that it's cleaning out the trash cans with a sponge and soap, hand washing the floor, and hand washing litter boxes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i have one of those too. sometimes she goes to bed early or can not watch tv that evening if she misbehaves. Going to bed early seems to really make her behave the next day. If they have video games or nintendo ds, that can be taken away. mine doesnt. maybe doing chores instead of time out. i saw a supernanny where the kids had tp pick weeds or collect rocks when they misbeahved. mind you the nanny was not into that as punishment. good luck.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• To me, it woiuld depend on what he had done to deserve punishment. But, some that have worked at my house are, washing down walls by hand, stacking firewood, no tv or video games, making them run laps around the outside of the house, pulling weeds, hand washing kitchen cabinets, early bedtime, things like that. There is a book that you should condier getting. It is called The Strong Willed Child, by Dr. James Dobson. I have this book and it has helped a great deal with my three boys.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't believe in chores as a punishment. Chores are part of family functioning - everyone has to do their part in order for everything to get done. Doing chores is a part of learning to be part of the team.
    Losing privileges is a good punishment, very effective when done consistently. My kids lose privileges when they choose to do something wrong. And I don't give them back easily either - they really have to demonstrate improvement over time in order for privileges to be reinstated.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thank you all. We've done the taking away of things, it just doesn't work as well because she shares a room w/ her very well behaved LS. It just didn't seem fair to punish her for her sisters behavior. Keep the suggestions coming...I'm making a chart.
    camicourt

Comment by camicourt (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My daughter is 7 - almost 8, and the thing that works best with her is taking away her stuffed animals because those are her favorite toys. We sometimes take privileges away, too. We reward her good behavior.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Maybe, as the others have said, taking things away for a certain amount of time? OR, you could tack chores onto their chore list, I know that one drove my son nuts more than taking something away. If I added crazy chores onto his list of chores and the only way they came off is if he started behaving, it seemed to work well.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My son was trying to force his sister to choose his DVD to watch (it was her day to choose) by turning the lights out on her while she was in the bathroom. His consequence: she got to watch whatever dvd and he sat in his room.

I think the discipline should match what was done. If your son is being rough with library books or losing them, he doesn't get anything from the library for a certain amount of time. When the entire family gets to choose but not him, he'll remember.

I disagree with finding something they HATE or HATE To LOSE and only using that every single time.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010