Anyone with autistic kids?

My youngest son, 5, is autistic and I was wondering what kind of diet works best. I have heard of the GFCF diet, but have not tried it yet. Also, I was wondering if certain vitamins/minerals help?

A.Perry

Asked by A.Perry at 10:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• A. Perry
    Keep in mind, autism is still very mysterious. This WILL be a process. What works for one might now work for another. If anyone tells you that they know what is best and that you are wrong, please do not listen.
    I get really ticked off when people ask me if I have my son on this diet or on that diet and they get nasty and tell me that I am doing my son a disservice when I say "No". I have heard some people tell me that I didn't try it long enough, or I didn't try it hard enough. My son is still a kid for crying out loud. He is NOT a science experiment. I tried a lot of the diets when he was younger, but they didn't work and I'm not going to keep putting him thru things. He deserves a shot at being a kid too.
    Do your research and do what YOU think is best for your son. If anyone else tries to make you feel differently, they are the wrong one, not you.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have tried diets and vitamin therapy. It didn't work for me. The thing that works best for my son is behavior therapy. He is 11.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Feingold...have you tried it.

My son isn't Autistic, but, he have behavior issues if he has Red Dye #40 LAKE. This diet eliminates artificial dyes, flavors and other things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My grandson is autistic. My DIL will not try the diet. She refuses to give him the opportunity to see if it will help him.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• @tootoobusy: Well, that sucks. Sometimes..that is all they need.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My son is 9 and is moderately autistic
    I've found that the diets work mostly with the hyperactivity and irritability associated with a food allergy. You need to find out what is being the trigger for the intolerance or allergy and remove that. Dairy and wheat are the biggest culprits. Have you child tested by an allergist.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had an allergy test done for him and he is not allergic to anything. But, he could still have food sensitivities.
    A.Perry

Comment by A.Perry (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My oldest has autism. We did the GFCF diet with him for a year when he was younger. It made no difference.

Answer by missanc at 5:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• no advice, but here's a bump!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• no
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010