What would you do?

What would you do if you noticed that your child's teacher was giving him/her the cold shoulder and rolling her eyes at him/her?

This is happening to my son who's in 2nd grade. He's so intimidated by her that he doesn't want to ask her questions when it come to school work. He would rather just sit there, not doing his work, then to talk to her. She's acted this way to him even in front of me!! She also rolled her eyes at me this morning.

akmccarty

Asked by akmccarty at 10:47 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have a discussion with her about what her problem might be and how to solve it.
    AugustMidge

Answer by AugustMidge at 10:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Talk to the principal and have him moved to another classroom.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 10:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That is crazy. I would definitely say something to her but I think i would go into the conversation giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she does not even realize that she is doing it. I would also think about speaking to someone in administration.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would go talk to the proncipal and superadministrator and ask them what her deal is. Ask them in a very concerned manner, "So is Mrs. so-in-so going to be okay? I'm assuming her condition is serious?" When they look stumped and ask you what you're referring to say, "Well I noticed she must need eye surgery or something because her eyeballs seem really loose in her head. She is always rolling her eyes at my child and myself."

I would ask to have my child placed in a different class, and if they don't help then go to the school board.

I had a tacher who tried to fail me for ending up in the hospital and my mom wnet in and crawled his ass and he was SUPER nice from then on! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• *Sorry for all the typo's, jeez... lol. I don't know where my head is today.*
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had a one on one talk with my son's teacher. She admitted to acting harsh with him and the next day apologized to him and they have gotten along great ever since.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• oh no!!! you need to got he the principal and tell him or her what she is doing, she has no right to do that, he shouldn't be scared of his teacher he should be happy to be there, that like a home away from home.. i would also confront the teacher and put her in her place, try to get ur son transferred to another class. also talk to other parents to see if she has done that to other kids.. but talk to the principal and get her in trouble, if that was my son i would put her in her place. i wish you luck....
    rinaangle2010

Answer by rinaangle2010 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My son isn't an angel. He got silly with a few other boys last week and acted up during class. He got a note sent home and he was punished at home. The next day I went in his class with him. He went up to his teacher and apologized for his behavior the day before. She didn't make eye contact with him, she turned her back to him and said "ok" in a firm voice. I though that it was very rude, but I gave her the benefit of a doubt, thinking that she was still upset from the day before. I talked to her some and she told me "My main priority, first and foremost, is to teach the kids who want to learn!". I was shocked! She also expressed to me that she has been overwhelmed lately and frustrated. (This is her second year teaching) My son has been acting well and doing much better. I went in class this morning and he was just sitting there not doing his work. He was scared to ask his teacher to sharpen his pencil.
    akmccarty

Comment by akmccarty (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• when I told him to go ask her, he did. She gave him the cold shoulder, even though he asked nicely and used his manners. She took the pencil out of his hand without saying anything to him. She sharpened it, handed it back to him and said "now go sit down and do your work" in a firm voice. I walked up and told her that I needed to talk with her. She rolled her eyes at me and said "I'll need to get my calendar and see when I can schedule a conference" . I told her not to bother, because I was going to make an appointment to have a conference with the Principal instead.
    akmccarty

Comment by akmccarty (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had a very parallel experience with my son in second grade. He also had a young, inexperienced teacher who clearly did not like him. The school was unwilling to change classes at parent request unless there was a major issue and they did not consider the fact that she clearly disliked him to be a major issue. He also has some behavioral issues and I think that the other teacher didn't really want him and that was part of the problem. We explored some other options such as switching schools but could not come up with anything practical at that time. I met with the guidance counselor who was very good about providing at school support for him. We used it as a learning experience about dealing with authority figures who you have a hard time getting along with. People are not going to like every teacher they have in school or supervisor they have at work in life, and while 2nd grade is younger than I wanted to do this lesson...
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2010