Why do childrens cartoons have to say words like hate, jerk, idiot etc?

There r not alot of things on tv that children can watch, and i do not understand why they have to throw these words in, and it seems like our children pick up on the things that u don't want them to. i just wish that there were more control on what is put on our kid networks.

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 10:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Entertainment

• they've been doing that since the Looney Tunes days.

But i gotta say, they're gonna hear it in real life (from strangers and peers, school, etc) no matter what and on non-cartoon shows and movies, so there's really no hiding them from it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• What shows say that? I have heard "stupid" and such on Sponge Bob, but I hadn't noticed it on any other shows.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree with you....plus even though I tried to control what my kids watch, they get exposed anyway because so many around me disagree with me.....I like PBS Kids....clean, fun, good morals, etc....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Honestly, instead of banning..why not use it as a learning tool and chance to teach that it is wrong? She is going to hear it in the real world and if your child never hears it in front of you with you there to teach her it is wrong, she can't learn that it is.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i do understand that they will hear these things by other people and othhe older things in the world but why do they have to use them in our childrens networks. and yes i have seen this in several of the older cartoon i mean bugs bunny has been smokin cigars and boozin it up for years. i am just saying with all the things that r negative in this world why r our childrens cartoons, why not start using these cartoons to teach our children about bullying , drugs, and abuse etc. i do know that there r cartoons that do teach our children great things but after the age of 4 or so they seem to be no longer interested in them at all anymore.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Can't say I have ever noticed... But my kids aren't big on "children's shows." They like older shows like Smurfs and Transformers more than the stuff that's on today. They do watch stuff like Ciallou, but I don't listen in to what is being said... Mostly they watch Simpsons, Family Guy and Scooby more than anything else, and it's just to be expected in those... But I don't really see anything wrong with it... I would think if you are really that upset by it, switch to stuff like CareBears or something...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yesthere r some good cartoons and there r some that aren't appropriate and i know the saying is if u don't like then turn the channel. i just find it sad that they can't make these cartoon without these harsh words , is that the only way to get a childs attention. i am not 1 of those moms that is like oh no they just said a bad word let's turn that off. i am just saying that enough is already out there for our children to see and hear. Why does it have to be on our childrens networks.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 1:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree with you, they hear it enough out in public so why not give them a break. I did almost turn off spongebob the other day because he called Patrick an idiot & my son thought it was funny to go around calling us that the rest of the day. I told him it was bad of spongebob to say things like that & he shouldnt repeat it, because it makes people sad
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Because they cant use the words they REALY want to say!! LOL
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 5:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Ive never noticed, but I am very careful about what they watch, it has to be a show that I have seen, trust, and want them to watch. I think of it as my job to make sure that they dont hear that, and with some shows I have seen on tv, even just for a minute those words are only a piece of what you have to worry about. There are some awful cartoons out there. Although I wish that people would use good judgment when making childrens shows, when it comes down to it its the parents responsibility to decide if there child is mature enough to hear what they have to say.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 5:55 PM on Oct. 14, 2010