When did you give your babies cereal and why?

My son is close to 5 months old and has been exclusively breast fed. I was considering giving him cereal sooner than 6 months because he seems to be hungry constantly. When he nurses he will only nurse for about 10 mins and then gets easily distracted, so I don't think he's getting full.

With my first son I did not give him cereal until he was 6 months, but he seemed to nurse better.

I hate the thought of him being hungry and was looking for the pros and cons of this, or your thoughts if you've been in the same situation.

Thanks!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 10:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my doctor's blessing, I started with cereal at 4 months because my son was hungry all the time.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would skip cereal and if he can sit up, give avocado or baked sweet potatoes.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• He's not perfected the sitting up thing yet.
    Julians_Momma

Comment by Julians_Momma (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• BM should be his main nutrition and calories. Trying to fill him with other stuff will take away from that. He is only supposed to eat a little at a time very often.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Times have changes a lot since my kids were young, with my oldest and middle children they got cereal around 4 months. With my youngest she started at 3 months because she cried all the time and I could not take it. I am not telling you to do something different then what you DR says I just think you have to do what you think it best. When I was a baby I got cereal at 8 weeks and I turned out fine.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My doc had me start at 4 months. I only gave it for a few days cause he hated it and i realized it was empty calories and little nutrition, so i went to veggies. With my next kiddo im waiting until closer to 6 months and skipping jar foods all together and going to soft fork mashed veggies and fruits :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My oldest started on cereal at about 6-7 months... He was a HUGE eater and my body simply couldn't keep up with the demand...
    My youngest didn't start on it til he was about 9 months and even then I think he only ever ate one box and we went to real food...
    Now I know better, this one won't ever have it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I tried cereal at 4 months- she hated it! So I tried some sweet potatos and she ate that right up! I also breastfed my daughter and still do though now I can't produce enough to fully breastfeed. Now at 6 months old she is eating pears, apples, bananas, sweet potatoes, spinich, etc. Just try it and see if it helps!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 4:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010