Christians, Please answer about Halloween

We're recently decided to not participate in Halloween... It was really hard but we know the reasons why we shouldn't participate on this day and how it effects our relationship with God. I'm wondering what you other Mother's are doing and what your reason is for celebrating or not celebrating?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• )
    Halloween is a holiday that glorifies that which is dark, that which is diabolical. The Bible tells us that we have been called out of darkness and into the marvelous light of Christ (1 Peter 2:9). Jesus wants to lift us above the paganism and wickedness of this world (John 17:14-15). How are we to let our lights shine (Matthew 5:14-16) if we are relishing in a custom that promotes darkness? "And what communion hath light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14). Our delight and meditation should be on that which is pure, lovely, and virtuous (Philippians 4:8).
    The Bible is clear: God is opposed to occultish practices (Deuteronomy 18:10-12, Galatians 5:20, Revelation 21:8).
    octavia137

Answer by octavia137 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• it's a commercial holiday for dressing up and getting candy. We participate.
    Anonymous

• I'm not celebrating it this year because I'm pregnant with my first baby and I'm not invited to any parties because I can't drink.

I feel that Halloween is what you make of it. I think it's just a fun commercialized holiday that's an excuse to dress up and get free candy. It doesn't affect my relationship with God or anything of the sort. But I do respect your right to not celebrate it. I don't think you're a prude or weird or anything, it's your choice.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• well my family doesnt celebrate holloween because they think its ungodly basically probably the same reason as u. so they have this thing at church where on holloween the church people are outside the church and they give out candy and hotdogs and christian brochures about jesus to the trick or treaters so that the kids still have a little fun and they play games but they keep it holy and fun
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Our church just held a "fall festival" which had games, candy and costumes...It was fun!
    We do celebrate Halloween..... as a fun day in fall...nothing more!

It is like anything....The intent is what matters to us!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I am christian and we celebrate halloween. It is mostly for children to dress up and get candy. I know what the holiday really means but we do not participate in that belief, or the rituals. We just look at it as a fun time to dress up.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• We are celebrating. We plan to dress my daughter up as a ladybug and take LOADS of pictures (it's her first). Since it will most likely be very cold, we will take her to the mall where you can "trick or treat" at the stores. We choose to celebrate because the "dark side" of Halloween holds no meaning to us. We do it simply for the fun of dressing up and chowing down on too much candy. I choose to completely disregard the bad things that may or may not happen on that day. I have felt no convictions against celebrating Halloween, and until I do - we will continue to join in the festivities.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• read this http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/i/biblehalloween.htm

also since you're quoting corinthians, here's my quote

"become all things to all men so that by all possible means" we might save some? (1 Cor. 9:22)

best quote from that article "Is it possible that our negativity toward Halloween only alienates the people we seek to reach? Can we be in the world, but not of the world?"

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You know as christian we are called to be the light of the world, it still mind boggling to me to seen Christians celebrating darkness, with Monsters, demons, witches, Violence, just pure Evilness, and say their is nothing wrong with Halloween basically calling evil good, The bible tell us to substain from all forms of darkness.As a christian we should sit back and ask are self what part of Halloween is glorifying Christ. I think then maybe more Christians would stop following the world and be an example as the Light that we were called to be By celebrating Christ in all season. I pray that helps you sis, rememebr you are the light and the salt of the world. take your children to a harvest festival were the can get candy and treats by celebrating the true reason for the season Jesus God Bless
    octavia137

Answer by octavia137 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• octavia, you are judging people! this is a SIN!

you are the type of person that gives Christianity a bad name and makes people turn away from it by shoving your beliefs down their throat saying they are evil if they don't believe as you do.

where in the bible does it tell you to be close minded?
    Anonymous