SAHM of toddlers: Do you ever get lonely when it's just you and the kids?

I find myself getting a little lonely during the day with the same old routine and no one else to talk to on some days. (Of course I talk to my kids, but let's be honest. It's not the same as having adult company such as a friend or older family member) Does anyone else get lonely? How do you keep from getting bored with your routine? And what do you do when the weather is bad for like a week to keep you sane?! lol

Kword

Asked by Kword at 11:07 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I remember those days. I used to get very lonley. Then I worked out a schedule that we got out of the house for at least three mornings a week. Even if it was to go to the mall......not to shop but to just be out. It was enough to maintain my sanity. I also would pack the kids up and go for overnight visits to relatives who were 2 hours away if my DH had a business trip. BTW the library story hour was a godsend to us.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• When my kids were little and I first started staying home I thought I would go crazy. I love my kids and I loved being home, I just missed interacting with other adults. What I did was I looked for play groups and other ways to meet parents. I enrolled my kids in things like, Library time, and what ever else the park and rec offered.

Once I started making friends I could set up play dates and then I got to talk with parents and my children got to make friends. I loved it and found that I was not the only person going throug things. I felt less lonely and now 9 years later I am still friends with some of the moms and it is great. We have seen our kids grow together and we are like family.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes I definitly get very lonely, my husband works a lot a lot too, it gets depressing sometimes. The best thing for me is to go to playgroups. We moved though and we live in a tiny town far away from everything. But there is a reading time for little kids at the library in the next town over that starts next week so I will be going to that to hopefully bring some of my sanity back and meet other moms around the area.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have thought of bringing them to library storytime. Our town's library just moved to a bigger building. It's really nice and has a large play room. They will resume their storytimes at the end of the month, so that should be fun. I do have friends in the area, but they always seem to be too busy to get together. (Accept for one, who I appreciate very much keeping me company. She lives alone too so it's nice for her to have someone to talk to as well.)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Definitetly.  When my older 3 kids were babies/toddlers there were days where the only people I saw or talked to were my kids.  And having a converstation with a 2yo isn't all that thought provoking.  My husband worked long hours and was never home and I had no friends and going anywhere with 3 kids under 3 was just a logistical nightmare so I rarely left the house, sometimes for weeks on end.  Back then I really didn't have internet either.  I was on dial-up and could only use it for a few hours a week after the kids were in bed.  I nearly lost my mind.  Now I rely on this site for most of my adult interation.  I don't get out much with the new baby (maybe after my 4yo starts school next year).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yep. Sure do. My family lives at the nearest two hours away and furthest is Washington State. So I talk to them online or the phone.
    I have no other interaction with people unless we go out to the store or when DH comes home.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Oh, I feel for you, justanotherjen! Sry you had/have to go through that, but glad to hear I'm not alone. Mine are 15 months apart. 17 months and over 2.5. Sometimes I'd rather stay at home than go through the stress of taking them to the store or something. My youngest is sooooo headstrong and independent! I think in a little bit I will walk them down to the store for some picnic lunch.....(that is if it doesn't start raining again)
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• all the time, my friends are not understanding of me and my kids so thats why im on here
    Tiffany_Rivera_

Answer by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 2:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010