How often does your 5 month old nurse?

My son wants to nurse every 2- 2 1/2 hours, but the doc says that is too often.
What do you think?

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 11:08 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doc is WRONG. Babies that are nursed are ALWAYS supposed to be fed on demand. Anything else is detrimental for nursing. You let baby nurse when he wants to. You are not ever supposed to look at clocks or worry about it. You let him nurse until he pulls off. You will know he is getting enough by how many diapers he wets in a day. If he is wetting AT LEAST 6, then, you are doing a very good job.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:12 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My 5 month old has no feeding schedule. I feed him when he cries for it. It can be every hour, every 2 or 3 hours, etc. He'll usually nurse 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:43 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• When I was nursing that often half the time was because the baby was tired and just needed to sleep. If he fell asleep quickly I did not call it a full 'feeding". Just one way to look at it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:48 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Your doctor is wrong, you should feed your baby whenever he/she needs to be fed especially if you are nursing. Having your baby nurse often builds up your milk production and keeps it from drying up also which is a great thing! Plus, babys who nurse do fall asleep on the breast and that will make him hungry sooner since he didn't get a full feeding. Try keeping him awake, talk to him, play with him, rub his feet, etc. I can't fully breastfeed anymore cause Im not producing enough, but I still nurse my daughter whenever I possibly can (in hope to get more milk, hasn't worked yet but I am hoping!!) So feed on demand, dont listen to what your doctor said!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 4:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010