Have you heard of the potty training method of "taking the diapers away?"

I recently heard about simply taking the diapers away and having your child being naked for a few days, besides nap time and bed time. Seems like you'd have to watch their every move or you'd be cleaning up messes all day?
Have you heard of this? What do you think?

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 11:11 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I did that with my son. Once he showed all the readiness signs, I put him in underwear and took him to try every 15 minutes until it became routine and he had no accidents. Then, I upped it to 30 minutes and continued until he was able to go alone. It took 4 days.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That's the way I did it

Using Pull ups didn't work. It didn't feel wet enough for him. I watch him like a hawk and everytime he went to go, I put him on the potty. Worked for me when NOTHING else did.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Worked for one kid, the other one doesn't care and will just poop and pee where ever....
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I did this with all 3 of my kids. I waited until they turned 3. They weren't naked though, I put them in undies. They were trained completely in 3 days. I really recommend it. Nap time too, but not bed time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have heard of it and I know that with some children it does work. With my children we also started a calendar system. We hung a calendar in the bathroom, then took them shopping for stickers and put those in the bath room;. Everytime they went potty they put a sticker on the day they went. After going for "X" amount of times, you determine the number, they would get a special treat, like going for ice cream or having a special dinner.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I used underwear and those plastic training pant covers (jic of an accident it gives you more time to get to them before you have to clean up a huge mess, and it lets them feel a lot of moisture in their underwear that they just don't like. So they get the idea that they should go potty somewhere else) It seemed to work well until my 2.5 year old decided that she wanted to be a baby like sissy and wear diapers. Gah, guess we'll try again in a few weeks. lol
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I do think there comes a point where you just stop using the diapers. But I didn't have my kids run around naked for that. I just switched to thick, absorbent undies (training pants) so that if there were accidents they didn't make a huge mess.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:32 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That is the approach I plan on taking with my son when she shows he is ready.
    He has been trying to get into the bathroom a lot after seeing Daddy going potty. So I think it's getting close to start trying.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We did something similar, we simply switched them to undies, we didn't let them go naked... But it was the same thing pretty much. And yeah, it worked great!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• yes..and yess u generally ended up staring @ their crotch all day...and yess you clean up all day..but IT WORKS!! If you want the ebook message me. It tells you how to do it EXACTLY. If you don't do it exactly chances are it won't work
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010