my 2 month old has a cold but no fever, what kind of cold med. should i gove him?

he is 10 pounds, so i am wondering what i should give him and how much i should give him? or if i should give him anything?

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• do not give him anything. Use saline drops for the nose and suction it out.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Nothing, he's an infant. let it run its course. My ds is 5 weeks old, weighs 13lbs and just go over being sick with no meds. Good luck
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:18 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• even when they DID sell medications for small children, they still did not sell cold medications for children under 6 months.
    layh41407

• You should not give a 2 mo old any cold medicine. Use the nasal aspirator (blue bulb shaped thing) toclear his nose out.
    momof4crzykidos

Answer by momof4crzykidos at 11:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• when my son was 6 weeks old he got a cold but was told by the doctor with him being so young he couldnt get any meds. He told me to let him sleep under a humidifier, use little noses and then suck it out. it worked. bout a week and half later he was fine again. sometimes its best to try and do little things like that before you dope em up. just my input tho.
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Nothing. Call the pediatrician.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 11:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't think you should give him anything. Try a humidifier in his room, a steamy bath with the Vicks baby wash. Maybe try the Vicks chest rub. If it's really bad, call the doctor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I ran to the doctor the first time this happened. LOL.. he gave me OTC childrens medicince- Dimetapp and told me to just give him just a tiny bit. so i used .04. He also said to try and prompt him up in the bed to allow the nose to drain. and get a cold humidifier in the room.

Hope he gest better.
    ClaribelC

Answer by ClaribelC at 11:20 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• dont give him anything. Like other posters, humidifier (or stand in the bathroom with the water turned up all the way if you dont have one) and saline drops for the nose then suction it. Cold medicines are not aproved for babies, and there is no need for tylenol or anything unless there is a fever, or they are in a lot of pain.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• thanks for all the answers! i just wasnt sure and he dont have a fever and a nurse told me not to bring him unless he had a fever! i just didnt know if there was anything that could relieve his lil stuffy nose!!! i will just keep suckin his snot out lol! poor lil guy!
    lilae86

Comment by lilae86 (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Oct. 13, 2010