Speech Delay on 2 yr old

My Pediatrician referred my 2 yr old to a speech pathologist for an evaluation. What can I expect? I have a lot of mixed feelings right now.. the last thing in the world i want to hear is that my child is behind in his development.. any success stories for encouragement?

I already read that early intervention is good. I am trying to stay positive and not to cry. I cant stop thinking what did i do wrong?

ClaribelC

Asked by ClaribelC at 11:17 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We never went through it ourselves but our middle daughter had a speech delay.  Her doctor, though, kept saying to wait and she would catch up.  Then we moved when she was 2 1/2.  her new doctor said right away we should look into early intervention but we just never did.  Kind of regretted that.

She didn't say her first word until 16 months and only knew 2 words at 18 months.  When she turned 2 she knew maybe 12-15 words (most learned at 22 months).  At 2 1/2 she was just starting to put 2 words together into phrases and didn't really start to use short sentences until she turned 3.  She's almost 8 now and is just fine, though.  She did eventually catch up on her own.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• First know that you did nothing wrong. You are doing the right thing by getting your child help at an early age. Sometimes children are a little behind with speech and then they catch up. If for some reason your child needs the extra help get it for him and keep fighting for him. The worst thing you can do is ignore it and then have it get worse. He is still young so it might be something simple. I have a nephew who had speech therapy when he was 2 and he is now in 2nd grade and doing great. He needed the extra help for speech, although he understood things so it was just getting him to be able to convey those things.

Good Luck and keep your head up!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I've been dealing with speech with my son for the last 2 years. He started speech when he was 3, we were also referred by his pediatrician. It was hard hearing that you son is behind!
    My son hated speech at first, now he loves going! He has improved so so much! He is at the age now where he knows he is different from the other kids. And that hurt me so bad!
    Good luck mamma! Best of Luck!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It really isn't anything that you did wrong. One thing you can do now is to really start trying to work with your child on the words that they need to know or use and work on pronouncing them properly. I wish the two of you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We started Speech Therapy for our oldest at about 18 months because he was behind. He had started talking and then quit. The process was fairly painless and definitely worth the effort. He's now 4 and is actually using words and sounds that most children in his age bracket don't have. We went through Early Intervention and they were just wonderful up til he turned 3 and we found a program which fit us better...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:25 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am going through the same thing right now. My son is going to be two next month so he isn't 2 yet but he doesn't say very many words. He only says momma, and dadda. I brought him in for the evaluation and the speech pathalogist told me he would set up a time for me to come back to hear the results. I cried and cried cause I thought it was my fault that he had to go through this. I went back to get the results and my son is at a 6-9 month range with everything. I have learned its not my fault and the only thing I can do is help him by working on these things with him. I bring him to speech twice a week and he is doing very well. He has only been going for about a month and has learned some sign language. I wish you lots of luck and remember its not your fault.
    mommyof2_1989

Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thank you all for all the answers. All i have done since yesterday is cry and worry about him. Its true no one wants to hear that your child is behind. He only says "dadda", "tatah" and "ok". :(

I was referred by the Pediatrician to a state sponsored program.. Called yesterday- left message, called today-left another message...NO CALL Back yet!! HUM... Im thinking of not waiting for them.. I know, I am one in a list of thousands.. thinking of going to a private speech specialist. Money is tight everywhere but the my child is more important than money!!!.
    ClaribelC

Comment by ClaribelC (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We also went thru the state for help first, he ended up not qualifying for help thru them. And they only help until they are three.
    But I just wanted to let you know that the public school will provide speech services for free! I know they took my son when he was three, I don't know for sure what age they have to be. Speech lessons are very very expensive!
    Good Luck!
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I f you have time, post your question on Amy's Corner at speechtails.com. She is a speech pathologist. I use this online tool with my daycare children and have great success! I love being able to ask Amy specific questions when they arise. Give it a shot, we love it!!!!!
    Vikkile

Answer by Vikkile at 7:16 AM on Oct. 14, 2010