Family or not? What to do?

I lived with this familyfrom my birth on. Now these brothers and their kids were my World. I always did right by them. Unconditional love, care, gifts, cards & remembering them! I was always invited to Family functions when I bought them gifts of $30.00- $50.00 per person. Though we didn't get any back. I took in each 11 & 15 year older then I, brother when they were kicked out of their homes and it so stressed my Marriage. When we hit hard times. DH losing his Job. And my Breast cancer. No more invites. When we had big functions this year. My big Birthday. Our 30th Wedding Anniversary. They all knew my Cancer Battle. NO one called, rsvps or ever came to anything. I feel lost, alone and hurt. My oldest DD didn't like how all my life they used me. But I was there constant carer and would do anything to help them. My year has been shattered. I sent my niece her BD card. But do I have Family or not? I feel unloved. What to do

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 11:31 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• I would say that they are NOT family. If they were then they would be supportive of you through thick and thin.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:37 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sounds to me like you have a wonderful family, just not these people, but the one you made. I know it must be hard to have put so much into something and feel like your getting nothing back, but instead of focusing on what you dont have look at those around you that have stayed with you and been by your side. Your husband, your kids, they are your family, they have loved you, and do love you.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:42 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• First I want to say I am sorry to hear about your breats cancer.

I realized years ago that when I was in the dark and struggling no one ever came to help or even recognize I existed, I always made it my goal all my life to be there in letters and cards, and helping yet when it was my turn to fall none of my family was there to help carry me emotionally, mentally, or even physically. It was too much for them to be there yet I went out of my way for them. After my divorce and custody battle (I did all alone without support from my family) I stopped being their full time nanny and started focusing on my children and now my new DH. Maybe you need to stop worrying about them and why they don't acknowledge you and focus on the family that does...your DH and children and close personal friends, they are your family because they are there for you always!

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Try talking to them and asking them what changed. If they give you BS answers, then wash your hands of them.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010