Is it safe to drink coffee during the second trimester of pregnancy ( 1 cup/day ) ?

bellalola1212

Asked by bellalola1212 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• No, it is not safe to drink any coffee. Even decaf still has caffeine, just a smaller amount. You cannot drink any of that kind of stuff while pregnant.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• The worry with caffeine is that it drains calcium from your body. If you're drinking caffeine, be sure to eat foods rich in calcium as well to make up for it. Also, don't over-do it since it's possible for the baby to have caffeine withdrawls. I drank pop everyday and never had a problem.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Caffeine can also stunt your baby's growth and keep them from getting their proper nurtients. They are now saying it slows brain development.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Myth: A pregnant woman should not consume ANY caffeine.

Fact: Experts and studies have stated that "moderate" levels of caffeine have not been found to have a negative effect on pregnancy. The definition of "moderate" varies anywhere from 150 mg - 300 mg a day.

How much caffeine is in your favorite drinks & snacks?

Starbucks Grande Coffee (16 oz) 400 mg
    Starbucks House Blend Coffee (16 oz) 259 mg
    Dr. Pepper (12 oz) 37 mg
    7 Eleven Big Gulp Diet Coke (32 oz) 124 mg
    7 Eleven Big Gulp Coca-Cola (32 oz) 92 mg
    Ben & Jerry's Coffee Buzz Ice Cream (8 oz) 72 mg
    Baker's chocolate (1 oz) 26 mg
    Green tea (6 oz) 40 mg
    Black tea (8oz) 60 mg
    Excedrin (per capsule) 65mg

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/caffeine.html
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• omg lol....its fine to have some caffiene while you are pregnant..Just try not to go over 3 servings a day.It amazes me how now we are not supposed to do ANYTHING while pregnant.Are you people really going to go 10 months without anything at all? You people are insane.
    s_newton86

Answer by s_newton86 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I'm really healthy and im 5'9...lol.. I got the height =)
    My mom said she drank coffee everyday with me. They didnt know any better 24 years ago..

Personally I wont touch any caffeine while im pregnant.
    I dont want to take any chances.
    Tamara_Fisher

Answer by Tamara_Fisher at 12:46 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I drank coffee with all three of mine. I didn't get crazy with it. No more than 2-3 cups a day. If I didn't I'd get terrible headaches and couldn't function. I worked f/t throughout most of the times I was prego. "They" say it's not good for you, but "they" also say it's ok in moderation. None of my children have ADD, ADHD, Allergies, and they are of normal health and intelligence. Like Tamara, my mom and most mothers drank it "back in the day" and I'm fine. I wouldn't drink pots of it a day, or chug energy drinks, but a few cups shouldn't hurt.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Normal pregnancy - advice for a healthy pregnancy
    If you drink coffee, try to limit yourself to three regular cups a day. ... During the second trimester, your interest will probably pick up again. ...
    hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/mosby_factsheets/Normal_pregnancy.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Yes... you can have one cup of coffee per day. Most doctors will tell you that you're allowed to have TWO caffeine drinks per day. Three are safe, but limit yourself to two. I usually drink 1/2 cup of coffee in the morning, then one can of Dr Pepper around lunch or dinner.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• "Myth: A pregnant woman should not consume ANY caffeine.

Fact: Experts and studies have stated that "moderate" levels of caffeine have not been found to have a negative effect on pregnancy. The definition of "moderate" varies anywhere from 150 mg - 300 mg a day."

Thanks for posting this Reneek3! This is exactly what I was going to post. Studies prove that there is no harm to the fetus until a person consumes approximately 300mg of caffeine a day. Which basically translates to 3 cups of coffee or approximately 8-9 cans of soda lol
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:19 PM on Jul. 3, 2008