10 year old daughter still wetting the bed

I have tried meds and waking her up halfway through the night, nithing seems to be working. I think she is such a heavy sleeper that she can't wake up to go. Any suggestions?

arenad

Asked by arenad at 11:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Gosh I feel for you and your daughter. My daughter went through the same thing.

My daughter had daytime and night time enuresis (sp??)
    Believe it or not, her doctor told us to have her drink water frequently to increase the size of her bladder, kegal exercises 3 x a day to tone her muscles, and NOTHING to drink between dinner and bedtime (at least 2 hours).

Now, because your daughters difficulty could be very different from my daughters, take her in to see a doc (female might be best) and make sure she isn't storing "logs" in her bowels. That can actually intensify the need to urinate. My daughter had that problem as well. The doctor can suggest diet and possibly short term meds in conjunction with kegals and "bladder Training" (the increased intake of fluids).

If she gets an idiot for a doc, doc may suggest surgery or a weighted cone. GET A SECOND OPINION! We are glad we did!

Hugs to you both, and GL!!
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 12:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You might ask her doctor about it. One of my cousins did this, and I think she got some medication that helped her. She should eventually outgrow it, but it can be very embarrassing for her in the meantime.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• its normal. she'll stop when she's ready
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:54 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• There is nothing you can do unfortunately. Believe me I tried everything. Use the Goodnights. My son was 14. Finally, he outgrew it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:57 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Try cutting off her intake of drinks about 3 hours before bedtime.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 8:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Don't be mad at her. Many older kids with this problem cannot help it. Let her wear Goodnights and accept that it will stop when she is ready. And you did say you had her on meds, so I am assuming you have taken her to a doc about this. Of you do not like that Doc's opinion, you can request another one from a different doc. There could be a viable medical reason for this.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:09 AM on Oct. 14, 2010