Is tipping passe?

Read this article from the stir, and be sure to click the link midway through to the original blog piece half way through...
It's really something. The practice of tipping is called racist, criminal, etc...

Do you agree that practice of tipping is illegal and should come to an end? Should laws be made regarding this practice? Or is this lady just looking for an excuse to be cheap?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:58 AM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• article at the stir.

Is tipping racist? Is being alive, at this point, racist? because it seems like EVERYTHING is racist.

lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Until restaurant owners are forced to pay waitstaff a living wage, not tipping doesn't make a statement, it just gets you bad service. (I promise, we remember those who stiff us, we tell other servers, the door staff will know who you are and they will give you the crappy table by the kitchen with the server that JUST got out of training and doesn't know the difference between a filet and a tbone)
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Is tipping racist? Is being alive, at this point, racist? because it seems like EVERYTHING is racist laughing

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this is very true! My section is usually full when people who love me but leave two percent tips...I'll stop by to chat for a moment and say hello, but it costs me several dollars to actually wait on them! I have to pay taxes on their bill, plus tip five people out...totaling more than five percent of the check!
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Tipping is annoying to me. I think the employers should just pay the people what they deserve and not leave it up to the customers to give them little bonuses all day.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Tip for good service. And give a really nice tip when you're able and they deserve it. These people are working for a living and everyone deserves to get paid well for good work. Tipping is not passe and that would be a pretty bad rumor to start!
    nancyc1010

Answer by nancyc1010 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• From the article-- "Tipping in its current form is an assault on fairness for employers and employees as well as consumers’ rights. It reinforces an economically and socially dangerous status quo, while buttressing a functional aristocracy."

Ridiculous. I waited tables for several years; I can only speak for myself, but the fact that you depended on tips from happy customers was a real incentive to stay on top of things and provide great service. I think it's one of the things that separates a sit-down restaurant with waitstaff VS fast food. I almost expect attitude from fast food employees--hourly wage earners--but when I am going to spend more money at a restaurant, I expect to be spoken to civilly by the server, who presumably, wants a good tip (which I will give them!) For me, it's about incentive, not servitude. I never felt demeaned by having to earn my tips--most people tipped appreciatively, not snottily, KWIM?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Racist?? Sorry, but the working class does not = any particular race!!

This is not a socialist country. The purpose of the tip is to award/encourage good performance.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• costs me several dollars to actually wait on them!
    I wish more people understood this. I don't give a DAMN how you feel about tipping, but ffs don't expect me to PAY for the privilege of refilling your tea.
    I've always thought that everyone should have to wait tables, once, at a packed ass restaurant on a friday night. You do it once, you get a card that says you are allowed to go out to eat at a restaurant, because you understand that it's a hard job. I hate how servers are referred to as unskilled labor. There is NO LABOR that is unskilled, and doing it well at a busy restaurant takes a considerable bit of skill.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'll stop tipping when people pay their employees livable wages. Wait staff earn NOTHING!!!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010