Since im breast feeding should I wait to take birth control until the 6 week check up?

Im having my second girl on Monday, and my S/O wont be home until atleast x-mas time...so I was wondering if I should wait until the 6 week check-up to be put on birth control, for 2 main reasons: one: the only other time I took birth control was when I had my first daughter and they gave me the deppo shot before I left the hospital, a month later i was reading though the panflet and it said if breast feeling to atleast wait 6 weeks before taking it! i was so upset that the nurses nor the doctor told me about this before giving me the shot...I was scared it was going to effect ,my daughter some how... and 2: Im not quite sure yet what birth control to be put on...

xtatianax

Asked by xtatianax at 12:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to visit with your doctor. Not all birth controls are safe to use when you are breastfeeding, so you need to make it very clear to your doctor that you intend to breastfeed. Also, if you stop breastfeeding you will need to switch to a different birth control because the one that is safe to use while breastfeeding is not effective when you stop breastfeeding. If you don't plan to have sex then waiting until your 6 week check up should be fine.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Why not wait until your hubby gets home to think about this? The less time spent on birth control, the better, IMO. Why get it for several months you won't need it for?

They probably say that to give you time to establish a good milk supply as birth control can effect supply. I don't see why anyone would need BC before 6 weeks, though and I'd want to give my body time to fully heal before pumping more hormones into my system.

As for what kind... the mini pill, IUD and depo are all pretty safe for breastfeeding. You can also use natural family planning or barrier methods.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• There is a different pill they can give you for when you are breastfeeding. I don't think you are really supposed to be having sex until 6 weeks, so no really reason to take it before then.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• NO hormonal BC for AT LEAST 6 weeks, longer is better. Absolutely nothing with estrogen in it. There is some really good info at Birth Control and Breastfeeding

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I was on a low dose bc because i was breastfeeding my kids. i took it because I wasn't lucky enough to not have my period and all that nonsense. and YOU CAN GET PREGNANT if breastfeeding! Don't think just because you are bf-ing you won't. but i understand why you'd want to start. It takes about a month for it to regulate in your system so you can freaky as soon as hubby is home. The low dose stuff works just the same, and my milk supply didn't change at all so it was a good choice.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Talk to your doctor.
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 6:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had the same worry about getting on birth control after having my baby so soon. But my OB said it was alright but gave me a progesterone only pill, so I suggest that. Taking a birth control pill with estrogen can get to the baby and cause the estrogen hormone level to be too high and later can affect the child, some people don't agree but I don't see why someone would take that risk!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 4:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010