What, in your opinion, is TOO LONG to breastfeed, and what is your reason?

I believe in breastfeeding at least two years. When I hear of someone breastfeedint their 5-year-old, I think, Gross! But I have to admit I think that mostly because it's so socially uncommon and odd. My son is just one, so I haven't been to the point where I've said, OK, I'm DONE breastfeeding and this is my solid reason for it!

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Once they start actual school is too old. IMO, I will let mine self wean, but, they have until kindergarten starts. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• And ladies, ignore that anon!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think 2 years is a good goal, but I do feel that by the time they start school it should stop. My kids are 3 & 4 and I couldn't imagine nursing them - but I hated nursing even when they were babies. I would just be way to uncomfortable seeing a CHILD nurse though... At some point you have to cut the cord.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• For myself, if DS is still nursing at 5, I think that I might encourage weaning. For anyone else? It's time to stop when one or both parties want to stop.
    Krysta622

• People like that Anon would have caused the human race to die out long, long ago... scary that people like this actually have children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• The average age of weaning is around 4 for humans.

Too old- never for human milk. Heck, I'm still lactating (never stopped), and I've used it to help my kids get over a cold, ear infection, etc.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think that *most* children are going to self wean by 5. If they want to nurse longer than I think that's fine but after about age 2 or 3 it needs to be done at home. By that age they are old enough to wait and know when it is and is no appreciate for mommy to drop every thing and nurse them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• 2 years. Once they can ask for it, I think it's been long enough. Besides at that age they can eat and drink whatever we as adults do.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• after age 2, once baby is 2 it is weird and inappropriate!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• anon, actually it's a YEAR old not 6 months. If you stop BF at 6 months you need to supplement still with formula. (which means that breast feeding HASN"T lost it's maximum potential. Please don't spread ignorance like that!!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010