From Mama's bed to Crib.

Do you think that crying it out is a good way to have a baby fall to sleep on their own? I have tried it once or twice but after about 10 minutes I feel so bad that my baby is crying and I pick her up and rock her to sleep. I would like my daughter to start sleeping in her crib the whole night. I put her down after rocking her and she sleeps there til about 11 and then wont stay asleep unless she is in bed with us. How can I get her to sleep on her own and stay in her own bed?? I want to start now before she becomes 5 and still is sleeping with us.

Sunshine4u300

Asked by Sunshine4u300 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did CIO with all 3 of my kids. we started at about 4-5 months old with each.

could you get a cosleeper that attaches to your bed so she's a little farther away and slowly work your way to the crib?
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My pedi said let them cry, they will learn to fall asleep on their own. If you keep holding till she falls asleep she will depend on it all the time.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I used a mattress on the floor for my son at first. I took him upstairs and I would lay down with him until he slept. Whenver he woke I would go lay with him until he fell asleep...he woke once or tiwce. And then he just slept through on this mattress. I was then able to put him into his own crib.
    Anonymous

• This is what I did:
    Until she was 1 1/2 months, I had Kaylee in bed with us, and then moved to having her in a cradle next to our bed. During this whole time she took her naps in her crib, so it was not a foreign place for her. At 3 months we started Kaylee sleeping at night in her crib. I play soft music for her and she goes to bed wonderfully.
    You need to make bed time business like...not playtime. It is time to go to bed and that is that. Yes, let her cry for 5 minutes or so. then go and comfort her. DO NOT pick her up...do what is neccessary to let her know that you are nearby, and then leave again. Wash rinse and repeat. It is going to hurt you to hear your baby crying, but it takes time, give it a week, maybe two. Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i dont know if this help the situation but when my son was little i would keep him in my bed until he fell asleep and then put him in his bed because if they fall asleep in your bed then when they get in there bed they sleep longer because they think there in there own bed. but that didnt last long but my son just turned 2 and was still sleeping in my bed and one day i got him his own bed and told him no more in mommys bed and made it a big deal that he got his own bed and now he wont even get near my bed he goes straight for his bed. maybe if you want just wait till they are ready and are comfortable. well thats just how i did every situation is different. good luck i hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• I did CIO and I have to say, it's painful to listen to but it works! I can't believe how much easier life is now that I have a baby who can fall asleep on her own and if she wakes a little while she's sleeping she can put herself back to sleep. It's only bad for a few days and then they catch on. Sometimes my DD will get to crying pretty hard and I know that that's not normal for her and I will go cuddle her a bit. So you just have to be in tune with their crying at a certain point so you know when it is and isn't OK for them to CIO. I don't know where your baby sleeps for naps but maybe starting with naps first may be a way to ease into it.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 3:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• when i quit breastfeeding my son which was about 5 months old. i started letting him sleep in his crib. for about 3 nights he would wake up and cry but unless he was like screaming crying i let him sleep. but now he WILL NOT go to sleep anywhere unless he has a bottle. and if i go in his room to check on him he will wake up, so i dont ever go in there i just listen the monitors, but letting them cry to go to sleep is not a bad thing. every mother has to go through that stage at some point in time and i think the earlier the better
    gurlieracer4

Answer by gurlieracer4 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008