what do you think of our income and lifestyle?.....any opinions or advice is welcome

married living off one income, gross income $1920/mo. 2 adults, 6 yr old, Dh pays CS for 8yr old but child doesnt live with us; so after $200Child support,health insurance on all 4 of us( including SS),DH's retirement,social security, state/fed taxes are all taken out his take home is $1250/mo. We pay a mortgage of $500/mo,we pay normal utilities, dh drives less than 3 miles to work and back, i barely use any gas, we keep our monthly shopping for everything; groceries,toiletries, all strictly under $300/month, no monthly extras, one basic $35/mo cell, we eat at home, watch movies at home & only go out on special occasions, we dont get to buy new things &clothes we buy at thrift stores & take hand-me downs, we only had food stamps once back when Dh was working temp jobs for 4 mo, we dont know if we qualify now, someone told us you cant have medicaid on a child anymore if your child is over 5yrs old & is on dh's work insurance..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think anything, nor am I going to read the rest of your question. Your life has nothing to do with mine so why should I even bother to think anything of it? Come on.
    Anonymous

• All I can honestly think of is "that must be tough". Have you considered looking for a job to offset some of these expenses. Its just me and my daughter and that income would not even come close to making it for her and I.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That would not be comfortable to me, but it sounds like you're making it work for you. If you can pay all your bills and you are all happy living on a strict budget, then it's fine. If you want to have more money and afford more extras, or if you feel stressed about money, then look for a way to earn some extra money. There is no one perfect income level or budget that fits all families; only you and your husband can decide what is right and comfortable for your family.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think that's gotta be rough, but you are doing what you NEED to do to get by. you have insurance which is more then most people, and your dh has retirement so that's good to be planning for the future. is there a reason you don't work? i would look into food stamps if you are really struggling with keeping food on the table. i commend you for living frugaly to keep your family off of public assistance but it seems more like 'surviving' then 'LIVING' :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• that has to be tough but we have been there too! its hard to make a living these days everything is so expensive! u are doing great! now even tho we have the money to buy nice things i still shop on sale and clip coupons and watch our pennies! every cent counts! keep up the good work! u rock!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sounds a lot like our budget. Only we keep ours so low so that we can pay cash for school.

Anyway I would not get food stamps especially if you are saving for retirement. I'm sure it varies from state to state but here in Utah you couldn't have more than $1000 in liquid assets. Getting on food stamps would limit you on that and IMO retirement is not something that you want to limit.

It was about a year ago that I looked up the information for Utah's public assistance, so things could have changed since then.

I think with the medicaid thing that your child can get it, it just might come with co-pays and spend downs (kinda like a deductible). Under the age of 5 there are no co-pays. Does that make sense? You could look it up in your state though.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm not totally clear on where your money goes as you said "normal utilities" and went on to describe your clothes shopping system but didn't give actual numbers.

You have two choices. Reduce expenses or increase income.
    Common methods for reducing expenses include growing/preserving some of your own food, finding alternative sources for food, trading goods or services, getting a programable thermostat, installing solar panels, reducing the heat in winter and the cool in summer, putting plastic sheeting over the windows to keep the cold out, alternative transportation to work as 3 miles isn't far (bicycle?, car pooling?), line drying clothes, wearing unsoiled clothes more than once before washing, making your own laundry detergent, using less detergent, having "good clothes" for outside the house wear and worn things for around the house, cutting your own hair, using freecycle or craigslist to find needed items free,

oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• eat vegeterian meals some nights, forage, glean, drink water, not soda, etc.

Increase income by evaluating what skills you have and marketing them. Can you babysit another child in your home, take in mending, make crafts to sell on Esty, gather items to sell on Craigslist, refinish furniture, bake pies or cookies for sale to neighbors, rent a bedroom to a college student, rent a garage for storage, clean houses, do yardwork? Can your husband take on some temp work in addition to his regular job? As you're painfully aware, you'll need to replace the car eventually and build some sort of emergency fund as a buffer. So you budget has accomodate that all somehow.

I really hope the best for you in all this.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 10:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2010