What is a good solution for a 4 year old temper tantrum.?

babyjizmalife

Asked by babyjizmalife at 12:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 6 (-63 Credits)
  • Never get angry towards your child.
    Leave them,to pounch,and kick.
    Just as long as it isn't you they are kicking.
    Have you ever watched the Nanny?
    Talk to them,tell them this is something you are not going to put up with
    Don't yell,walk away
    sparky1006

Answer by sparky1006 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• you have a good point...but with other kids in my house hold its hard to walk away from her kicking & screaming so i put her in her room untill she calms down do you think that is a good idea or no.?
    babyjizmalife

Comment by babyjizmalife (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My four yr old has just started having serious meltdowns lately. I have found that the only effective way to get her to stop is to threaten to take away a toy or privelege that she cherishes. (Such as her Leapster or her favorite book). This works most of the time....
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 12:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• BEAT EM!!!!! J/K! Some kids need discipline, some kids need reminders, some kids need rewards, some kids need to be baby talked to, some kids need to just scream it out. I have 3 boys, and all of the above situations. There are some times where they need a butt spanked. What is the trigger causing the tantrum? Sometimes its lack of sleep. Giver her a nap. Sometimes their feelings get hurt, and they can't express themselves in a way to make us understand so they flip out. I never stood for tantrums and I still don't. I walk away regardless of where we are. If its in the middle of the store, I leave em, (keeping an eye on them they can't see) and tell them flat out, "I will not take a little boy home who acts like that" or "you stay there like that someone is gonna come snatch you up" and then explain to her why the behavior is unnecessary and find out what the problem is and something she can do to ease her frustrations
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 3:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If we're at home she goes on the naughty step and once she's done crying then we start the timer for 3 mins (because she's three) and once the timer goes off, we discuss why she was in time out, we discuss that I'm not mad at her, but I'm mad at the behavior and then she says she's sorry she gives me a hug and a kiss then we move on to something else.
    If she's having a tantrum and we're out and she wants to do something I continue walking and tell her "ok fine, I'll see you later." She doesn't want to be left so she'll catch up. All I have to do is take 2 steps and she's right next to me.
    baboluchi56

Answer by baboluchi56 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Walk away. After they calm down then you can discuss what caused the meltdown in the first place. You just have to be consistant with the ignoring otherwise they just keep on throwing fits in the hopes that you may give in again.
    parris3

Answer by parris3 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Ignore it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:33 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• If he throws this at home its best to ignore the bad behavior, if your in public try redirection if possible
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Kids of that age usually use temper tantrums because they've worked for them in the past. At that age it definitely gets attention!
    With all of the mom's I work with, I tell them to ignore it. This is called Active Ignoring because it's more extreme than regular ignoring. You do talk or look at your child. The more you do the longer the tantrum will go on. It all becomes something for attention and what the original thing that they were tantruming about is forgotten. Four year old can scream louder and longer than younger kids, so be prepared. Leave the room and go do something else. Don't be surprised if it goes on for an hour. Not unusual at that age. Just let it happen and burn itself out. You are teaching your child that this behavior does not work!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• very calmly remove the child from the room or place that the tantrum started. Then calmly put the child in a quiet room, like their room or some where they cannot hurt themselves. Calmly tell them as soon as they stop and be nice then they can come out. Then turn around and walk out of the room, be sure that you do not show any aggression or an reaction what so ever. And it wont take long as soon as he/she sees they aren't getting any attention they will straighten up. It might take a few times to get it thru to them, but it works very well if it is done right and you make sure to follow thru. If you are in a public place, just remove the child to the car and do the same thing. Do not show any attention to the child, just read a magazine or occupy yourself with something and tell the child that as soon as he/she is finished then you can get out of the car. But remember, do not use idol threats, act immediately.
    SLCBARNES

Answer by SLCBARNES at 12:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010