Religion at an early age or wait?

I want to baptize my daughter in a christian church, and start her at an early age so she knows about GOD. (I was not raised this way but I wish I was.) Her father does not believe in religion at all. He thinks I am impossing my beliefs on her and also believes that we should wait til she is older and can understand about GOD and all the other religions and she can make her choice then. What do you think?

Sunshine4u300

Asked by Sunshine4u300 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• we don't baptize our kids, Thats something we fell should not be done untill they want and know why they are getting baptized. But as far as teaching thats something we do right from the start.
    Anonymous

• It's a personal choice that you'll have to discuss with your husband.

Personally, my boyfriend and I are going to talk about all sorts of religions with our daughter. I'm a liberal Christian and my boyfriend is agnostic, but I was raised as a bible-thumper and he was raised Catholic. We don't want to force our daughter to believe in anything that she doesn't want to believe in. If she asks a question about a certain religion, we're going to answer it the best we can. If she chooses to be a Christian, so be it. If she chooses to be Buddhist, so be it. Hell, if she chooses freaking Scientology...that's a little weird, but so be it. I don't feel it's our right to force her to believe exactly what we believe.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It depends...some Christians, Methodist, Lutherans, Anglicans, and Catholics, such as myself, baptize people of all ages, including infants and young children, so I don't see anything wrong with it. Other Christians, such as your child's dad, believe it best to wait until your older. So it really just boils down to your personal beliefs and why and why a person should be baptized.

Even though I personally do not believe there is anything wrong with baptizing children, including infants, I would wait until your child is older. Just because your child's father does not share your beliefs re: baptism. Religion is a very touch subject when it comes to raising children, especially when the parents do not agree or share the same beliefs. I wish you all the best! God Bless!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Oh and if you do choose to wait to have your child baptized, it doesn't mean that you can't teach your child. Even if the child was baptized today she still would be need to be taught about God, prayer, the bible, heaven, hell, angels, etc......
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• we dedicated our children to God, to us baptism is something you have to choose for yourself so we do that later in life.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My kids aren't baptised but they learn about God and Jesus daily. We are imposing our beleifs on them because they are our children and we CARE about them. Being a Christian is not going to harm them in any way, shape, or form. When they are old enough to understand the meaning of being baptised and such, and WANT to be baptised, then they are able to.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I'm LDS. We don't baptize our babies. Baptism is usually done at age 8 or after when they are old enough to understand the meaning of baptism.

At church, children 18 months to age 3 are taught simple lessons about being nice and loving our families etc. After age 3 they start Primary and start learning more about God and Jesus as well as all the Bible stories etc.

I think it's great that you want to start teaching her early. They are capable of understanding more than we think.

Good luck! I hope you and hubby can come to a comprimise.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• never to young to start worships the lord
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• "Imposing your beliefs"

That's called BEING A PARENT!!!!

If you want to take your child to church, do it. If you want your child to understand that mustard yellow looks bad on everyone except super models, do it. If you want your child to really, really, really get how awesome yodeling music is, do it.

For pete's sake.

Your child is going to want to know what YOU believe. So teach away! Your partner just sounds like he doesn't want to go to church.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You could wait till she's older and then let her decide. Wimsey, not everyone believes in the almighty God, so I wouldn't knock the fact that her partner doesn't go to church.
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008