If you have an accident backing out of a parking spot, who's fault is it?

My sister was backing out of her parking spot at work and another woman turned the corner and hit the back end of her car. We are debating who would be declared at fault.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It depends. DH was involved in an accident like that, but the woman driving through the parking lot was going the wrong way down the one-way lot, so the woman was at fault. I assume things like that, how fast the woman was going, etc would be taken into consideration.

Generally when they're determining "fault" in an accident, they're taking ALL the facts into account and as far as I've seen, they're usually right.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Technically, the person backing out is at fault because the other car has the right-of-way. I think this is bullshit though because there are plenty of cars that see a person backing out but still speed up at the last second so they don't have to wait, yet they get away with it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• But wait, if the lady hit your sisters car, then it's the lady's fault. If your sister was backing out and hit the car driving behind her then it would have been your sister's fault. But if the lady came around the corner and hit your sisters car, then it's the lady's fault.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I was told here in MA it doesnt matter how the accident happened. If someone hits you in the rear end they are at fault no matter WHAT! even if they clearly caused the accident. SUCKS! I know of this firsthand! :(
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Your sister, sorry.... When your backing out your suppose to use xtra caution and frequently check your blind spots....
    emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think the person backing out would be at fault because if I'm not mistaken, the car that's driving down the row of parking spaces has the right-of-way. So the person backing out should've stopped and let the car go by unless the car stopped and motioned them to come out.

But then again, if the person driving was going the wrong way down the aisle, then I would assume it's their fault and not the person backing out.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This happened to my dh. He was backing out and a woman was driving across the parking lanes diagonally. The cars collided but because it was in a parking lot, it was considered private property and no tickets were issued. However, the insurance companies duked it out and deemed my husband 51% responsible because she had 3 kids in the car! Doesn't matter that she was cutting across the lanes.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010