You discover that your wonderful one-year-old child is, because of a mix-up at the hospital, not yours. Would you want to exchange the child to correct the mistake?

This would be incredibly hard to do. I'm not sure what I would do.

tracylyn245

Asked by tracylyn245 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• at that age, maybe. You haven't gotten to know them yet and they aren't aware of much yet. Why give up on your own biological child in that way?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would switch, but maybe keep in touch with the other.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• At a year old? It would still be incredibly hard, but yes I would.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Ideally, I would want the experience to bring both families together, and while we traded kids, hopefully we could still spend time with the one we'd helped raise. But yes, at that age, I think I'd want my biological child back. There are so many traits that a child has that are biological; expressions, mannerisms, personality quirks...I would want to see those in my own child as compared to myself, just like I do now.
    mommaserene

Answer by mommaserene at 12:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I honestly don't know. My son is only 2 and I fully remember the attachment I had to him even after just 1 year. I don't know how I could have just traded him over, even if he wasn't biologically mine. Thankfully my son looks exactly like me and my husband so I'm sure I'll never have to go through that lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would switch and keep in touch with the other family in hopes in one day sharing the big 'Whoops" story
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• wow thats a tough one...I think that I would definately want to be raising my child but at the same time after a year I would be so attached to the one I had been rocking to sleep every night I dont know if I would want to give that child up either...I think I would have to talk it out with the other parents and see if there was any way to 'share' both the kids ya know? maybe take my biological back but arange to see the other one often and get the kids together for play dates and stuff...I dont know that would be sooo hard
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It would be incredibly hard, but I would switch them back. The child deserves to be with the correct parents and not be stuck with people that aren't their real parents because of a stupid hospital mistake. I would switch them back and just hope that the other family agrees to stay in touch. Since the kids are the same age, they could go on playdates together and such and you would never miss out on too much.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• can you have both or share? geez i have no idea i vote for share them
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think that is one of those situations you have to actually be in. I say I would switch back, but I really don't know.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010