Am I too "thin" for gastric bypass?

Tricare, our health insurance, says that a person must be 100 pounds overweight to have the surgery. I am 5"6 and weigh around 212 pounds.

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 12:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I got curious so I looked it up...
    Generally, gastric bypass surgery is for people who are unable to achieve or maintain a healthy weight through diet and exercise, are severely overweight, and who have health problems as a result. Gastric bypass surgery could be an option for you if:

Your body mass index (BMI) is 40 or higher (extreme obesity)
    Your BMI is 35 to 39.9 (obesity), and you have a serious weight-related health problem, such as diabetes or high blood pressure
    Gastric bypass surgery doesn't replace the need for following a healthy diet and getting exercise. In fact, the success of the surgery depends in part on your commitment to following the guidelines given to you about diet and exercise. As you consider weight-loss surgery, make sure that you exercise, change your eating habits and adjust any other lifestyle factors that have contributed to your excess weight.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yeah thats too thin. My friends mom is the same height and weighs like 260, and she was trying to gain weight so she could have the surgery.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• check out weight charts....honestly I don't know
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• what ever happened to hard work. if you want to lose the weight then work for it. it won't happen over night but at least you'll be able to look at yourself and know you worked hard for it instead of taking the easy way out
    Anonymous

• i think the calculation is 100lbs for 5 feet and then 5lbs for each inch over 5 feet. so for you that would be 100 + 6x5 which is 130lbs. That means to qualify you have to be 230lbs to have the surgery. So yes I guess you are too thin.

I also think they have you try out a diet plan before the surgery to see how well you will do afterwards. Who knows, while doing the diet to have the surgery you could find it's managable and stick to it and just lose weight naturally.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That is too thin...I am 4'11" and weigh 208 and I've been told that's too thin even. I carry it well though...LOL!
    Anonymous

• Oh, I do work hard. I work out every morning doing cardio on the treadmill and then do weight training. I lost almost 100 pounds after I had my daughter but gained it all back and now the scale won't budge. You shouldn't bash or judge if you don't have all the facts.
    tonbookluvr

Comment by tonbookluvr (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It's based on your BMI, over 30 is obese, and your height and weight are a 32 on the BMI scale. You can make an appointment for a consultation with a doctor to learn their specific requirements.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 1:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure, but I hate when people say things when they don't know the facts. People act like it is so easy for the weight to come off and in some cases it really isn't. Everyones bodies are different.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Perhaps lap band instead? I had that procedure done.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 8:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2010