Why do women feel that they need attention from men?

I understand feeling good, dressing well, and getting attention from your SO, but since when have we lost the ability to do those things for OURSELVES. Why does it have to be to gain attention from men?

I dress well out of respect for myself, I take care of my feet and always have pretty toes because it makes me feel good, I do my hair because ***I*** like to... If someone notices, thats nice, but it boils down to self respect. I do those things because I take care of myself.

Why do women feel that they need attention to prove their self worth?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• It probably varies for each person. I have insecurity, self-esteem and self-worth issues. I've always since a very young age wanted attention from boys/men. At 5 when I was molested the one thing that sticks out in my head is how I didn't want him to take off my top because I didn't have big breasts. It's ingrained issues that stem from not knowing how to be loved or how to give it. Not feeling like you are worthy of love or deserve it. For me I felt if I put myself out there to get attention they would want to be with me. Some women don't know how to respect themselves or love themselves, because no one told them how or showed them, instead they weren't shown real love and respect or told that they were worthy of more. Being put down or even neglected makes some have feelings of inadequcy, a lot of people find it weird that I can look at myself and say I'm ugly but I don't see what they see.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have no idea because I'm not one of those women.

When I dress to impress.. I do so for me.
    When I do my hair, my make up my nails, buy something new to wear, even the underwear/lingerie I wear is for me......

Do I like the attention I receive from my husband due to those things.. Yep most definitely.. It's a wonderful plus. However, that's it, it's a plus a nice extra. I do not do the things I do in regards to my appearance/keeping in shape/clothes I wear..etc.. for him. I do them For ME.. The attention I get from him, is just the cherry on top. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Because some people have low self esteem about themselves. Even the women that keep themselves up, sometimes have self confidence issues. Until the people that you talk about, learn how to love themselves FIRST before allowing someone else to, they'll have the same self esteem that you have...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I always dressed to impress others, to get attention because it made me feel good. Days later though when those feelings wore off I was right back to hating myself. I have implants because I wanted to fix what I thought was ugly, only to think they weren't big enough or to look at something else and say wow that's ugly too.
    Our minds just don't say the same things that other people hear. I hear you're ugly, no one will ever love you the way you look, you're not good enough. Of course these are all things I'm working on, and I dont' go out looking like a $2.00 whore to drive unnecessary or unwanted attention but I use to, because I thought that is what it took to get a guy to notice me and then eventually he'd love me.
    I'm a strong believer that feelings of self worth and respect start in the home, you aren't born with it, your taught through actions and words of those you love.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• cuz some want to feel loved, I guess.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• In all honesty its a confidence booster. Someone other then your spouse finding you attractive is a definite boost and thats all it is and everyone can use that once in awhile.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sometimes its insecurity, sometimes I think women just want to know that someone finds them attractive. I don't think its always for bad reasons.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 12:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Because when your lonely or just broke up with your bf it feels good to get attention
    Anonymous

• For me, it would be an ego boost.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• a woman likes to feel loved and wanted by a man.a person they can grow old with. share good times and bad times with by supporting each other
    susieq46maine

Answer by susieq46maine at 2:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2010