What is the best way to get and keep tile flooring grout clean and white?

We have a light colored tile floor. We've lived here just a few months and it is just trashed already. The main walk area is the worst. I wash it every few days with a steam mop and use a micro cloth wet mop in between. And we have a no shoe rule. I know bleach works great with a tile brush, but I'm looking for something less caustic and more convenient.

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 12:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I gave up on trying to keep the tile grout clean, so I bought tile grout paint and painted over it. It looks so much better.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• look up a cleaning supply store in your area most will have a grout cleaning system you can use before resealing your grout I used to sell comercial cleaning products and prolink has an awsome grout cleaner and sealer...most of the time you can just buy a gallon at the store and you will really want to make sure it is properly sealed after you get it clean to keep it looking nice GL
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• The flooring guy that did my floors before told me that vinegar does the trick, thats if they are not too bad. I tried it and I must say the smell is intoxicating but did the work.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I like using vinegar, and on occasion, whitening toothpaste.
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 3:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think it's impossible. Can you change the grout to a darker color? Dark gray grout hides more.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• we made sure to get a grout and tile color that have a reddish tint to them because we live in red clay land and that stuff won't come out no matter what!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This place is a rental so boo to the landlords for not thinking about it!
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010