More conservative with age and experience?

I am only 25 and as I get older my views in life has changed alot! From being a die hard catholic (because of my mom) to not going to church as often. I start to question EVERYTHING I do and that has led me to be a different person. I use to be so liberal and totally against anything republican but now that I am older I seem to be more on the conservative side than the liberal side.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

I can go on forever but Im at work so what I type will be limited.

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i'm not on any "side"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am not on any side either just lean more towards a certain side. All in all it comes down to what I believe in and what I think is right I guess.

KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I've always been conservative, only moreso with age. They say that it your not a liberal when you're young, you have no heart and if you're not a conservative when you get older, you have no brain. I can live without a heart! haha.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Typo *if
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Me personally.

As I have grown older ( I'm 48) I have not become more conservative or more liberal. I feel I've become more open minded all the way around. I no longer view social issues or fiscal issues through a lense of what's best for me and mine. I do my absolute best (though I am human and not perfect I do try) to look at these issues through the lense of "what would be best for the country/people as a whole".. EX: Social welfare programs do not help me, I do not personally benefit from them, but I am able to see how they help/affect/benefit others.Jobs being offshored/outsourced may not affect me directly and my job or my husband's.But I can see how it affects others & the country as whole.

My views, how I look at/approach things, how I vote etc.. Hasn't become more liberal or more conservative. They have become broader, more open, and more encompassing of my fellow Americans as whole, and less about "Me"
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree Leanne!
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I know what you mean. There is a saying, "If you are not a liberal when you are young you do not have a heart. If you are not a conservative when you are older you do not have a brain". I think as we get older we realize there is no free ride.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Same quote!........neat.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Our life experiences/the way we question the world around us; work hard to achieve goals/seize opportunities; and observe the political process~ make us who we are... Some have different objectives out of gov't. Some feel the only way for the nation to be "fair" is for the government to nanny them.. Some feel personal responsibility, and personal choices make us better contributors to society, despite the gov't.. Some work hard, step back and realize they are where they are because THEY worked hard and NOT because of the Federal Gov't. And so on... Life Experiences. There are so many variable to why people evolve and change their views on what direction this nation needs. I have become more aware of fiscal responsibility over the last 10+ years and less concerned with social issues... Add to it having kids and not wanting them in debt to the likes of China because of mismgt of Gov't programs....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have absolutely become more Conservative over the years. Of course, marrying into one of the most Conservative Republican families in Texas did a lot to help that along! LOL. My husband's stepmom was one of the nation's largest Republican party contributors, and had pictures with the candidates, going back to Nixon. But, as I aged, and researched, and realized the Repubs fit more in line with my beliefs, morals, and values, and as the Dems became more liberal, and began aligning with individuals I know were less than honorable, mainly the weirdoes out in Hollywood, I became a full-fledged GOP,and have never looked back, except to shake my head at the mockery liberals have made of the party my Grandfather proudly belonged to his entire life.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 1:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010