Are we doing the right thing?

We are putting our 10 year old German Shepherd to sleep today. She has hip and stomach issues. She's also deaf and can't see much. We have a 16 month old who she growls at if he sneaks up on her (only cuz she can't hear him anymore). She's a bit nutty too, dementia I'd think. She no longer listens to any directions or commands, and she's totally defiant.

We recently moved from her lifelong home and it seems to have really screwed her up. She just isn't comfortable here. She can't be left alone and must follow me where ever I go or she whines and barks. I mean I can't even tie her outside. She barks if she can't see me. I married into her, but she has chosen me as the leader. And I have to admit, I hate her and love her all at once.

My heart is breaking because I think its wrong, but we just can't deal with her craziness. She causes us so many problems. It was his choice, but I want to run away with her now...

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 1:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Pets

• He's miserable because he can't fix her, maybe. Men can be like that.
    She doesn't have much longer. He will miss her when she's gone. I don't know him, or his personality. But maybe is really sad about her dying? IDK. But, all I know is it's hard, unbearable. And you do have a say. But, you don't know yet what the vet will say, so talk about it with the vet, then talk with your hubby. He needs to be supportive of you. I say that, since you will be taking care of her. Good luck. I don't envy you, though I will be there one day with my fur-babies.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Unless she is dying or is in a great deal of pain, then yes, I think you are doing the wrong thing. I would try to find a place for her. There are dog ranches that you can take your dog too when they have several health problems to live out the rest of their lives.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would have the vet check her out first. I had to choose to put our 18 yr old cat down in May. It was clear that she was dying and had no quality of life. The vet checked her out for me and confirmed what I didn't want to acknowledge. That it was the right decision.

If the vet believes that she has a good quality of life possibility, maybe with meds for her pain, maybe you can find a no kill shelter where she can live out her days.

I think the end of life decisions for our pets are just heart breaking. My cat was not a nice cat, but I still agonize over the choice I had to make. In the end she was mine and I still wanted her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• But, it IS partially your decision, too. Just because you married into the dog doesn't make her any less yours. Stop harping on that! Don't let him tell you that. Talk with the vet. OK? Pain. Do you give her aspirin? That helps with arthritis. She's old, but unless she can't control her bowels, then she's not all lost yet. She's grumpy, make adjustments concerning your baby. I know it's hard, with the dog wanting to see you. Maybe give her a blanket that smells like you to lay on, she can still smell. IDK with the vet on her quality of life first. But you do have a say. Especially since you take care of her.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It's all about quality of life and the safety of your family. Does she seem happy? Is there anything that can be done to improve her situation? Is there a possibility she may harm your child by accident? ... These are things you need to weigh.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think you're doing the right thing. It will ofcourse be a very hard thing to do, but if she isnt happy and is in pain, then why let her be miserable? & What if she snaps at your child and he/she gets hurt? It isnt worth the risk. Its a sad situation, but she has lived a happy life, and personally I wouldnt want to watch my beloved pet suffer and be in pain. GL.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Honestly 12 is very geriatric for a large dog.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you think that she may pose a danger to your child and she has health issues, then I think you are doing the right thing. Euthanasia can be the most humane thing to do in a situation like this. Good Luck.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 1:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I know how you feel a life long friend and her life is in your hands, if she is in pain or posing a danger you are doing the right thing. HUGS to you mom!

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• She is in pain. It is totally apparent. She cries at night, and can hardly walk sometimes. Her hips are so bad her legs slip out from under her sometimes. We have checked in to dog ranches and such. We don't want her to be shuffled around and kept in a pen for the remainder or her life. She was brought up a house dog. She must be near someone at all times. she would never be happy at a kennel of any sort. She needs round the clock attention. And I think it would make matters worse for her mind.

donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2010