Are these signs of night terrors??

My daughter is 10 months old and does not sleep through the night. On some occassions we go inot her room and she is screaming and clutching her crib bars. But once we give her a bottle she falls directly to sleep. Could this be a sign of night terrors or dependacy on a bottle?
Cuz we are think of trying the CIO method, but if she is having night terrors i do not want to let her just cry. Advice please!

BTW we have tried bed time bath, rice in her bottle, snack before bed, and music while she sleeps. Nothing work.

hayliesmommy20

Asked by hayliesmommy20 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not believe this is night terrors for several reasons. You say she goes to sleep after she eats. If she was having a terror, she would not eat. She would not be awake. She seems too young for them as well. I would suggest moving her bedtime up an hour. We did this with my daughter and it worked like a charm. She was diagnosed with night terrors and when she had them, she was insane. He would scream and scream and could not be consoled at all. She could not communicate. She would not wake up.

I believe your girl is just hungry.
    MammaG

Answer by MammaG at 1:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't believe in Crying it out no matter what the situation personally. It doesn't sound like night terrors bc they usually don't wake up, they just sort of cry out in their sleep. It may be that she has been awake for some time playing and when it gets to be enough, she jumps up and starts crying. Sounds like she is just Hungry.....good luck momma
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• When my son has nightmares, he's awake, visibly upset and crying out for comfort, then he'll usually go back to sleep in a reasonable amount of time if that's all it is. Sometimes he also wakes up really thirsty (or hungry when he was an infant), but doesn't know how to tell me what's wrong. In those cases, a drink will usually settle him down again. When he has night terrors, he doesn't even seem to know I'm there, he's not awake, he thrashes around and generally acts crazy, so I just try to make sure he doesn't hurt himself until he wakes up on his own. He only gets those occasionally, but one time he screamed and screamed for the longest time--I was starting to wonder if he needed a doctor, and I tried to hold him in the glider so he wouldn't hurt himself on the crib. Suddenly, he pulled his head back and said 'Mommy?' with a look I took to mean 'when did you get here?' He slept again right away; I was still stressed!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010