What to feed 6 mth. old?

My 6 mth. old will not eat the rice or oatmeal baby cereal - even mixed with a fruit or vegetable. He will eat the jar alone and i'm also giving him soggy cheerios in formula. He only eats a few, though. He wakes up a lot at night and has two - three bottles throughout the night! What can I feed him to help him sleep better? At two-three weeks he was already sleeping really well, with one feeding at night. Why is he regressing, unless hes hungry?

baskrox

Asked by baskrox at 1:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG! Don't be putting cheerios in his bottle!
    Babies don't need the cereal. Veggies and fruit alone are fine.
    No baby food you give him will make him sleep longer.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• when you are giving him a bottle how many ounces are you giving him at a time? Should be about 6-8 ounces at this point.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Oh,my bad. read that wrong.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• NO food on earth will help him sleep better. Skip the cereal. Feed him between 28-32 ounces of formula a day. Go look at the baby led weaning site for food ideas. His MAIN nutrition and calories should be formula. Food should only be a bite or two and just for fun.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• At 6 months old he should be okay to sleep through the night without food. Don't listen to people who say that more food will help him sleep. Do what works for your little one. My son only gets 24 oz a day and he is thriving, in the 75th percentile and sleeps through the night. Try to gradually wean your LO off the nightime feedings.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 2:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• if you formula feed have you tried the nightime formula? its supposed to be heavier for slower digestion and help lengthen sleeping time. Talk to your doctor about the cereal part, it has iron and what not that is good for him. Realistically talk to your pediatrician about this anyway. There is so much that can go into it that we don't know about.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sleeping through is more a milestone than anything else. Nothing you feed him will help him sleep better. I did find that giving her too much/too rich food before bed interrupted her sleep and she'd wake up wanting to feed. Mine's 6.3 months and she also changed her sleeping patterns a few weeks ago. Saw this morning there's a little tooth wanting to breaking through. All I know is that if she's hungry, I feed her.
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:00 AM on Oct. 14, 2010