My son is eleven months old and just started to REALLY be attatched to me SEVERELY!

What can I do to get him not to be so screamingly attatched. I mean it is bad he holds on to my leg and wont let go, I could be sitting down and he screams if I move an inch to resituate my body! He acts like someone is killing him if i leave the room. My mom said it is because he has started walking about a month ago that he is going through this stage Idk what it is but I can't get nothing done and he is miserable help this has been going on for about two weeks

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is separation anxiety... it is a phase he is going through, just love him :)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• what can cause him to be so anxious over this?
    tiffandgene2009

Comment by tiffandgene2009 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• As the last person said it is a phase. They all seem to go through it around that age. It can be frustrating but it will pass.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• There is no cause, it is just something in their little brains, they have learned a great attachment to Mommy and they actually feel like it can go away. He will soon realize that even though you are going away, even if it is just across the room, you will come back. The brains are starting to work through things. And as all phases there are not always causes, like terrible twos.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It is a healthy part of normal infant development. The best way to make him feel secure and be ready to move on to more independence is to to be there for him as much as possible. Don't even think of going to the bathroom alone, take him with you. Hold him and keep him with you as much as possible and before you know it you'll be complaining that you are having to chase him down because he is running away!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• its also the beginnings of stranger anxiety....he knows you and recognizes you and is realizing not everyone is you, so its just a part of growing. That is a little intense though I do admit, are you absolutely positive that something didn't happen to him? maybe a spanking in daycare or something. It is normal to be attached to be screaming when you go to adjust your seat and not let go is a little over the top. investigate all possibilities momma!
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• no daycare he is with me most days and with people I trust on the days I have photoshoots
    tiffandgene2009

Comment by tiffandgene2009 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think you just have to work thru the phase- at this age behavior patterns like that only last a few weeks or a couple months most of the time. Then they are on to something new and forget all about whatever was such a big deal. When you have to leave him with someone else, just keep yourself calm, give him a quick hug and a kiss and tell him you love him and will be back soon and then go. Keep your attitude light and don't linger and say good bye five times- that all just drags it out and makes it harder and the baby gets more worked up. Also, when you are at home, if you get up for a minute and he freaks just tell him happily you will be right back, disappear into the other room and then come right back saying "See, Mommy came right back. Here I am!" Playing peek-a-boo can sometimes help, too. I think it is really important not to let yourself get worked up and not to respond so much to their clinging that you encourage it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Google separation anxiety in babies. His brain has finally realized that you exist when you are not there, but it has not yet figured out that you WILL come back. It is very hard, but it is also a really good sign that he is developing normally. Play the pick-a-boo game so he learns about coming back. Always say the same thing to him when you go away for a few seconds so he starts to realize you are coming back. I always tell my kids, "I'll be right back" and that usually sets off my youngest, but he is starting to come after me now and not scream. And then have something different that you do when you go away for a bit longer.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well answered, Christina b313. Couln't have said it better myself
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 8:51 AM on Oct. 14, 2010