Would you buy your child a duplicate of something they intentionally broke?

Just curious as to what other mothers would do in this situation:
Your 3 yr old takes a pair of scissors to the cord of his video game console (therefore rendering it useless), after having been repeatedly told not to use scissors and being punished for using them to destroy previous items. Would you then later buy him a new video game console to replace the one he destroyed?

**note this is not my child, I just would have handled it differently and wanted to know how other people saw this**

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 1:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't. This is a good lesson for the child to learn. When you intentionally break something, I'm not going to pay to replace it for you as a reward. It's time he learned consequences.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 1:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I can honestly say no, I would not buy him a replacement. Maybe thats just me though......
    Denise859

Answer by Denise859 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• No way! The kid has to learn consequenses, what did he learn from that? He'll probably just damage this system as well.
    d0wnand0ut57

Answer by d0wnand0ut57 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• NO
    BrendansMommy

Answer by BrendansMommy at 1:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• No, but my hubby would probably rig it, he's pretty good at that.
    So if my hubby rigged it I would take away scissors, (kids that age shouldn't have access to them without suppor vision) for good and not let him play with the console for awhile
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 2:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I am with everyone else on this one. I would not replace an item that my daughter intentionally broke. The only way they will learn is by letting them suffer the consequences.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 2:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• No, if my kids destroy something on purpose they must not have liked it so they can live without it, I would never go out and buy a replacement.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Why did a three year old have unsupervised access to a pair of scissors sharp enough to cut wires?!?!?! ~~ That's scary!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• christyg, I feel the same way. And the worst part is, this isn't the first time...last Christmas it was their outside Christmas lights that were destroyed!!

Everyone else, I am so glad to hear I am not alone in this. I thought maybe I was just a 'harsher' parent....but I couldn't grasp why anyone would buy a replacement.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 2:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Nope...and I would also take away the scissors until he could use them without destroying. My kids once decided to give DD a hair cut. She wanted to trim her hair and she conned her brother into helping her. They both lost their scissors for a month unless they were required for a school project - if that was the case they got them only in a supervised environment.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008