Can you pre-wash fruits and veggies for toddlers?

My 2year old son is finally getting into fruits and veggies for snacks (yay!!!!), but he doesn't want to wait on me to wash them at snack time. So can I wash these when I bring them home from the store as I put them away? This way all I have to do is cut them up for DS? Or is this unsafe? I am unsure. I want to keep him eating the right things since he finally wants the fruits and veggies instead of so much junk food. What is the best thing to do?

momoffrank

Asked by momoffrank at 1:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yeah I wash my veggies when I take them out of the garden. So of course why not.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Go right ahead! No harm done, and DS will love that you aren't taking as long.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• sure i dont see why not. you could also buy some that are already ready to eat, like sliced apples and carrots that are packaged.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You could, but I think its important for your child to learn patience as well as healthy eating habits! It doesnt take long at all to rinse off a fruit or veggie :) GL!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• & Please do not take offense to what I posted, Im not trying to sound rude or anything.. Sorry if I did, lol...
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes what is wrong with that ?

I do a vinegar solution on all my frutis and veggies and wow that water gets dirty !!!

I wash everything first day. Things like wet lettuce, grapes, strawberries are put in the fridge.

Things like apples, oranges, bananas are left out to dry and then put in a bowl on the counter.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thinks like berries should be washed right before use, everything else can be washed, dried (lay it on the counter on a towel) and put away for later use. Saves a lot of time to do it when you get home from the store, and then have it ready to use.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• *things
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010