How long does this usually last??

My son is turning 3 in a couple weeks.. he recently went through a "daddy phase" where the world was about dad and what his dad liked to do and what he wanted to do with him etc.. well Now we are in a "mommy phase" which I LOve of course, but I can't even get him to be nice to dad or his grandparents.. if they say they love him or want to hug him, he runs to me and tells them, I don't love you, I only love my mom... we tried not paying attention to it, then I would tell him it was NOT ok to talk to people like this or treat family like this, its been a month and only getting worse. He wouldn't even give daddy a hug yesterday- like kicking and screaming.. nothing has "happened" to warrent this change - is this just a phase?? common??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• oh yea......I've got 3 the youngest is 18 months and they all do it.....they flip flop between us. My oldest was the worst, but they grow out of it. it could just be that he had the "daddy phase" to test him out so-to-speak and see if he got the same attention as he did from you or someone else, the kind of attention that he craved at the time. Now he's moved on to you and he feels he's getting the attention he wants, so he doesn't want anybody else's attention. The baby does this to my hubby and I he's very clingy with me lately and I don't mind but its killing my hubby bc he wants some of the attention too. Good luck, he will grow out of it, just takes time. Do you do anything else to reprimand his behavior towards everyone else? Try something like walking away from him and ignoring him when he bahaves like that towards others and tell him "Mommy won't talk to you if you aren't nice, mommy only likes nice little boys"
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My best friend had this issue with her son. They made sure that he was not flat out rude but they never forced him to hug anyone.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 2:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• PS. it was a phase
    Mommy2Gabrielle

• I don't really know how your kid is but mine like to do the opposite to what we would tell him at that age so when he was like that and didn't want to kiss or hug someone we would just say "don't give me a kiss" or I would say not he is mine in a fun way and then he would want to kiss or hug his dad, grandma, etc

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My dd has days like this. We tell her it makes us Sad when she is mean like that. That it's not nice, and she will feel guilty and stop.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• kids r funny.. its just a phase
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:48 AM on Oct. 14, 2010