How does it work with Christmas and gifts and young children if....

you go to someone else's house, far away, especially if the kids believe in Santa?

It doesn't make sense to be bringing tons of gifts or shipping them back and forth. How does this work with your family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Holidays

• That's why we stopped staying overnight at family on Christmas. Now we get up at home, open all of our presents, from Santa and us. We have a big nice breakfast, then go to family.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My family just sends either gifts or gift cards to my kids (we aren't able to really travel for the holidays from PA to TX or them to come up here) but when we send gifts down there, it is either something small that doesn't cost too much to ship and/or gift cards. Or we just order it online and have it shipped straight to them.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You could bring a special gift or two for each child. Have Santa leave a note explaining that the rest of the gifts are at their house. Or you could celebrate Christmas before you leave for your trip.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Santa goes where we go. I pack the kids gifts and the gifts for my family that I am visiting. We will be traveling this year and I am soooo looking forward to it!
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 2:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We have only been away from home once on Christmas in the past 10 years. We went from WA to TX. We had my mom buy their Santa presents there, and we stuffed 3 suitcases with the rest of the gifts and stocking stuffers. It was literally last minute like we found out we were going to TX 4 days before Christmas, so we didn't have much time to prepare. We let the kids open their one big gift from us, a fish tank, the day before we left lol. Then on the flight home, they lost one of our suitcases, the one that was filled with stocking stuffers, and it was Christmas Eve. We got to Tx about 6pm, realized the suitcase had been lost, drove to my moms house 3 hours away, dropped the kids off at her house, and went out to find whatever stores we could that were open. Everything was closed, except for a convenience store, so they got things like candies, bandanas, and gas station toys in their stockings. And they loved it :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My kids know that Santa comes to grandma's house and leaves them some presents, and then leaves some presents that will wait for them at home. So when we come home from grandma's the presents are waiting for them.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• take a few and leave the rest home
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you figure your going to get a gift then you better be ready to give a gift. It's better to give than to recieve.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 11:38 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We take the gifts with us and hide them in the car. If we purchase the gifts online, we just have them shipped to my in-law's house so they are ready when we get there.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 12:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We don't do Santa in our house, but I would think that "Santa" would go wherever the kids go.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:47 PM on Oct. 14, 2010