Can you freeze fresh garlic?

I have a head of garlic which I've used a couple of cloves. The last time I bought fresh garlic like this, I ended up not using it right away and it went bad. I'm wondering to keep it at bay if I can freeze it successfully for use down the road without worrying that it will go bad. Any ideas?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Storing it in a mesh bag that works fine for six months... I break the bulbs into cloves, put them in a freezer bag the flavor is almost perfectly preserved, but the texture becomes much like other frozen vegetables. The flesh is still firm but translucent. It keeps in the freezer for many months. I did not peel the cloves before freezing, which protected against freezer burn... I just broke up the bulbs and left things the way they were...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 2:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You can but it won't be fresh anymore, I gave up on the garlic bulbs and get garlic paste, it is concentrated garlic without a lot of additives, and it comes in a plastic tube I keep in the fridge, it lasts a long time and although it costs much more than garlic, at least I get to use every drop without going bad, and I love the taste and texture, it is creamy smooth.

Answer by older at 2:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010