How do i keep my 19 month old entertained?

MY son will 19 months next week and our daughter just turned one month. my son has become extremely bored during the day since my DD was born. It almost seems like he's forgotten how to play with his toys. He doesn't play with them he keeps trying to find stuff he's not supposed to get into. How can I keep him entertained? I can't take him outside because i'm still postop and I can't drive.

I need ideas for activities to keep him entertained... PLEASE HELP!!!

axandra85

Asked by axandra85 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It seems to me it's not that he's bored but that he's seeking attention. Can you spend sometime alone with just him everyday? Maybe make bath time into his special mommy time? Have an hour on the weekends when your SO takes just him out? It's so har don the young monkeys to understand why they went form being your world to having to share it. The getting in to things he does'nt belong is more than likely a "Hey Mom look at me!"
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• yea i agree with the first response. does he like a specific tv show? my DD loves barney, and that keeps her occupied and gives me time to get things done. =D
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 3:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I agree, it's not just bored. His whole little world just got flipped upside down. :) It's all new for him and he's trying to figure it all out. Involve him in taking care of the baby. He can help burp with supervision. He can fetch wipes. He can help sing songs. Play I Spy with him while you feed your baby. If you're trying to get house work done - include him. Give him a rag and show him how to dust. My kids LOVE that. Play Hide and Seek in the house. Make some of 'baby nap time' HIS private time. Play his favorite games with him. He'll get past this and settle into a new routine.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 4:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It's just the age. My dd doesn't like to play alone as much any more. She wants to sit on my lap or climb on me or have me swing her. I'm sure she'll outgrow it.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 19 months, and I've noticed that in the last month, maybe month and a half, she seems to get bored as well. I was working part time, and I thought mabye it was because she was used to having the other kids at the babysitters to play with. So, when I quit my job, and was staying home with her, she seemed to find more enjoyment out of "exploring" everything she wasn't supposed to get into. I don't know if it was an attention getter, or just that she's trying to test her boundries. I bought her a couple new toys and weeded out some of the infant toys that were still in her box. I find that just getting down on the floor and playing with her seems to get her interested in the toys, and she will usually stay engaged for a little while after I am done. Good luck.
    MommySophia

Answer by MommySophia at 4:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Not trying to be argumentative with the other Moms, but Erynne is an only child, and we're having the same issue, so it might not be jealousy/ attention seeking.
    MommySophia

Answer by MommySophia at 4:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It could be either the age or the new baby. My kids are 18 mos apart. We just really involve my DD in everything with my DS. When he starts crying we encourage her to give him hugs. When its diaper change time, she goes and gets the stuff. When he is eating, she will help me burp him. I even let her feed him a bottle the other day. Of course I sat close...lol. THese new activities can help bond them together and can entertain him at the same time.
    tigrangl

Answer by tigrangl at 6:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008